Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

MikeSudomaPhoto's Content

There have been 16 items by MikeSudomaPhoto (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#9458 Nikon DF Yay or Nay?

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 18 November 2013 - 11:43 PM in Nikon News and Rumors

Not liking it, 20 buttons on the rear is not "pure photography". For me pure photography have zero buttons on the back

161834b.jpg

Just Like the Good Old Days :)

#7184 Nikon DF Yay or Nay?

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 04 November 2013 - 07:01 PM in Nikon News and Rumors

Hey everybody, by now I'm sure you all have heard the rumours and seen the videos of the new Nikon full frame DSLR, the Nikon "DF". With a small body, vintage looks, and the same sensor as the D4, the Nikon DF looks to be a great camera for Wedding, Portrait, and Street photographers.  I stumbled upon this write up on PhotoLife.com and it found it to be quite informative. I'll post the link below so everyone can check it out. I personally can't wait for this one to come into stores so I can get my dirty hands on it!  

Link to Article: http://photographyli...ictures-pricing

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on the new body

#5279 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 21 October 2013 - 10:18 PM in Photographic Technique

Good advice, Mike.

And some great shots!

Thanks foto guy, hope it helps!

#3483 Concentrate on the Clarity: The New Nikon D610 FX-Format D-SLR Places Emphasi...

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 11 October 2013 - 11:32 AM in Official Nikon News

Yes totally agree, I'll be sticking to the 7100 too. Not enough of an incentive to move to FX. 

Exactly!   I'm sticking with my D7000 untill I have enough for a d4 or hopefully the D400 if/when it comes out :D

#3092 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 04:30 PM in Photographic Technique

I often bring small plastic carpet or knees pads when I go for a shooting outside the studio. Going lower is a good option when framing is not interesting

I've bought cheap kneepads that velcro on, looks a bit dorky, but quite comfortable.

Whatever gets the job done!

#3091 Composition

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 04:29 PM in Photographic Technique

I agree MikeSudomaPhoto, empty space tends to draw the viewers eye away from the main focus or point of the image to much, try to find some leading lines in your image to draw people into the picture and make them feel they are there in the picture. You've got some great pictures there to!

Thanks Scoobs, I agree with you fully on leading lines! It's awesome when theres a person or something interesting that the lines lead unto.   It rewards the eyes a little bit.

#3086 Concentrate on the Clarity: The New Nikon D610 FX-Format D-SLR Places Emphasi...

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 04:06 PM in Official Nikon News

Still think this is the main reason for the speed of the update

New Increased Speed and Performance: A new shutter mechanism in the D610 affords a faster frame rate. Users can now capture the action at a continuous 6 frames-per-second (fps), which is ideal for photographing action sports or elusive wildlife

Might as well just stick with the D7100!!!   Other than having a full frame sensor, and maybe the new and improved weather sealing, the 7100 is better in everyway

#3084 Composition

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 04:03 PM in Photographic Technique

Some great shots there MikeSudomaPhoto, I love the different angles that you've taken the shots.

That's a good tip, I would really like to do some product shots, maybe try different lighting. 

Thanks

Thanks iNyoni, Product shots are fun. Off camera lighting is a must though, (thank god for CLS) if you want to create an attractive image of a product. What gear are you using?

Are there any guides to photo composition, for newbies like myself?

Hi PrettyCranium,

Just look through your view finder and take photos from a perspective that YOU find interesting. However I do have a couple of rules I follow. 1) Don't have a lot of dead or empty space in your image (e.g. too much sky, lots of head room when taking a portrait) 2) use objects in the foreground and background to create depth and height. That is what I am mainly thinking when I'm out shooting. Take photos of the same object from different vantage points. When you pick your final image that you think is the best ask, ask yourself why you think it's the best.  That's the best advice I can give you from a paid photographers point of view. I hope you find it to be useful to you :)  I'd love to see your end results

#2969 Composition

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 09:14 AM in Photographic Technique

Im not old or pro by any means, but when I capture still life try and make your image tell a story. Capture your still life from interesting angles to keep the composition interesting. Remember you don't always have to get everything in the shot (e.g. full buildings, trees, etc) Try to communicate what the subjects in the scene are doing, where the shot is and how you feel about the subject through your image.  I hope this helps seeing as I am not that great at explaining myself at times, Especially in the morning :P

Not currrently updated but here are some examples of some of my still life work. Hope this helps

#2927 Beginner DSLR....which basic model is the best...

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 07:02 AM in Beginner Questions

Definitely have to agree with you guys there...  D5100 with a 50mm 1.8.   Especially since The 5100's are sold at Costco now.

#2925 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 08 October 2013 - 06:58 AM in Photographic Technique

Thank you very much. The last shot, on the trike, is actually outside on pavement and one of my favorite photos :) Going to have to make a canvas print one of these days.

Oh wow I didn't even realize!   Awesome shot    

All of my photos are of a different perspective to my own. Being 6 ft 3 my tripod is shorter than I am. Though I appreciate the point, I do too go prone for some shots. I think I've even been photographed (my knowledge after the fact) while lying prone setting up a composition. 

I get where you're coming from!  I'm 6'4.5, life gets boring shooting down on everything haha.    

#2835 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 07 October 2013 - 09:11 PM in Photographic Technique

Unless you've always shot low - in that case, get high! (with the camera I mean ;) or not, whatever )

Or both!    Definitly creative hahaha

I often shoot as low to the ground as possible, I find it adds to the DOF as theres provides a greater perspective of distance... heres a few examples:

9536656156_f85b896dcd_b.jpg

9267918852_4138f19192_b.jpg

9177963445_4042b99a53_b.jpg

8737448070_ee1d5e734a_b.jpg

8625544037_804696889b_b.jpg

Cheers

great shots Scott!   the DOF of the carpet in the kid on the trike photo is brilliant!

#2830 Hey Everybody!

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 07 October 2013 - 07:20 PM in Say Hello!

Nice to meet you all :)

#2787 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 07 October 2013 - 03:37 PM in Photographic Technique

Its awesome when people give us weird looks!   Gives us more to document!!

#2683 Getting Low

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 06 October 2013 - 11:22 PM in Photographic Technique

Get creative and shoot low. It will change the way you, as a photographer, view the world around you. This can result in more interesting compositions at a different perspective.  It can make for some really interesting, creative shots

Attached Thumbnails

• _EDG9119-1.jpg
  • _EDG0899.jpg
  • _EDG1510-2.jpg
  • _EDG1533.jpg
  • _EDG1456-2.jpg

#1312 Hey Everybody!

Posted by MikeSudomaPhoto on 01 October 2013 - 10:35 PM in Say Hello!

My Name is Mike Sudoma and I am currently a free lancing photographer. I am also currently attending Red River College in the Commerce Industry and Sales Marketing to get a grasp of the business side of photography as well.  I hope to make photography my full time career. Archetecture, Still life, Portraits, and Sports are my Forte. I mainly shoot with a D7000, along with a 50mm 1.8G and a Tokina (I know its not Nikon....) 11-16mm 2.8 as well as my 70-300mm VR (which I'm hoping to sell soon to buy a 70-200 f4).

Check out my work on my Facebook site here: https://www.facebook...ography?ref=hl 

Hope you enjoy my work! I will hopefully be updating my profile daily!  Nice to meet you all!

- Mike Sudoma

Attached Thumbnails

• _EDG0868.jpg
  • _EDG1017.jpg
  • _EDG0524.jpg
  • _EDG1182.jpg
  • _EDG1109.jpg
  • _EDG1067.jpg
  • _EDG7214.JPG