Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rocatah's Content

There have been 31 items by Rocatah (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#78233 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 01 April 2022 - 08:34 AM in Say Hello!

I'm wondering how to add a pic..

IMG 20220330 182800 edit 627093504384519 resized 20220330 062845294

I'm just seeing if this works.. ok yes it does.. yay

These are the files I used. Took me quite a while.. But it's done..

Thanks you gentlemen!

#78230 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 01 April 2022 - 07:57 AM in Say Hello!

Well, it took some time, but it is fitted.

I had some bits in my nail kit that worked a treat, though it did take a good while.  

Augh.. Why can't I add a small pic.. What's the secret.. grrr

#78214 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 30 March 2022 - 08:57 AM in Say Hello!

Take things slow, as a retired gunsmith I always advise against small hand held power tools for such operations. Possibly a nail file is an acceptable tool to use, but please use it by hand and go slow, checking your work as you go.

Yes, that is good advice, I probably would have ruined the eye piece using the powered drill.

I appreciate your input.

I will report back when my task is completed.  :D

#78204 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 29 March 2022 - 11:04 PM in Say Hello!

Ohhh.. thanks..

I know where to file now. I do have an electric nail file that will work well...

Thank you

#78173 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 28 March 2022 - 09:38 AM in Say Hello!

I don't have any needle files.. I'll have to go to my brothers..  Did you file the eyepiece or the rubber part? Sorry to keep bugging you. I appreciate your help.

#78140 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 26 March 2022 - 09:19 AM in Say Hello!

Augh..

Typically me.. I thought the old one needed to be removed. (that's where the screws were..) So it's now on the camera and I will take it for a test drive this evening. Is the outer bit supposed to fit over the new eyepiece?

#78132 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 25 March 2022 - 11:36 AM in Say Hello!

So my DK-20C arrived today.

I managed to slide the view thing up, that was easy.. I think the eyepiece itself is screwed in.. gulp, This has me worried...

#77860 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 05 March 2022 - 02:04 AM in Say Hello!

I would say easy-ish.

The original slides upwards quite easily, but the replacement was very tight. I found it necessary to run a needle file in the grove that slides on to the viewfinder.

Not a major problem, and at least it can't accidentally come off.

With regard to connecting a tablet, I used a video capture device from the hdmi port to the tablet. It works ok but there's a time lag between the image on the camera to what's displayed on the tablet.

This makes acquiring focus via the table very tedious.

I am finding Helicon Remote very quick. It connects to my tablet via USB. My focusing is much improved as I can zoom in on the tablet, I take the pic and it pops up on the tablet within a second or two. 

I've not heard anything about the DK20C +3 I've ordered, so no idea when that will arrive. Looking forward to receiving though..

#77848 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 03 March 2022 - 11:21 AM in Say Hello!

In post #40 you mentioned wearing 'non prescription glasses' - I immediately got confused.

I just checked the adjustment range on the D5600, it's -1.7 to +0.5

I think this means you'll need the DK20C +3

The Ebay company I used is registered in Hong Kong, but I though they were in Japan - more confusion.

They also appear to stock the DK20C  +3 (£23.40)

If you mention my name when ordering, they'll increase the price for mis-quoting their country of origin.

I just ordered it from eBay, might get it by the end of the month.

I have successfully hooked my camera to my tablet and using Helicon Remote software. I can zoom in on the tablet for focusing, and it works pretty well. I will still need the eyepiece though, for when I go out.

Was your eyepiece easy to fit?

Thanks

#77821 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 01 March 2022 - 01:28 PM in Say Hello!

Tracy, I would advise getting an eye test to to determine your actual sight requirement. Non-prescription glasses are a cheap option, but don't take account of the difference between right & left eye.

When I worked for a living, I used 'pound-shop' glasses for a few years, but eventually got my eyes tested & some prescription glasses. The cost wasn't huge & I could see the benefit immediately.

I had a quick look to see where I got my DK20C from & noticed they have a +2 version:-

https://www.ebay.co....H4AAOSwx39fGpIY

I think it took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Enough waffle from me.

Thank you for waffling. I appreciate it.

I do wear prescription glasses, with different strengths in each eye. (I've worn glasses for 45 years) My left eye is much worse than my right. I can read great with +3 store bought glasses and with my prescription glasses, so seeing as I can read great with wither, I figured a +3 diopter for the Nikon.

It seems like the dK-20C +3 is like hens teeth at the moment. Every place I checked are 'awaiting stock'. I checked some US sites and they have them, but with $25 shipping.

Like I mentioned I did purchase one from a reputable seller here in the UK, but they sent an email saying the item was not in stock, but were trying to locate one.. I'll see what they come up with by wednesday. Failing that I'll get one from Japan vie eBay.

Do you think the +3 will be ok,

Thanks

Tracy

#77804 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 28 February 2022 - 07:00 PM in Say Hello!

Hi

I came up with +3 as I wear +3 non prescription glasses, but thinking about it, maybe a +2 diopter would be the equalivent of +3 in glasses.. I really don't know.

I've looked all over the web for one, but it seems they are all awaiting stock. eBay does some, but will ship from Japan.

I am so disolusioned with this whole camera thing. It seems I can't take a sharp image for the life of me. Even with tripod..

Fed up

#77797 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 28 February 2022 - 02:00 PM in Say Hello!

I also wear glasses & fitted +1 dioptre viewfinder lenses to the cameras I use - expensive, but necessary!

Hi again.

I was wondering if a DK-20C +3  diopter thing would benefit me. I think it would. 

I ordered one online but the company came back saying they were having trouble finding one. Do you remember where you got yours from?

Thanks

Tracy

#77029 Timer help

Posted by Rocatah on 22 January 2022 - 06:22 PM in Beginner Questions

Had a look at the manual on this - looks like the timer mode clears after every shot, hence the need to to re-select that mode.

I checked the same function on my D3300 & that also clears after every shot.

Best option might be the MC-DC2 remote cord for tripod work.

I bought a Chinese copy for £7 (Ebay).

Yeah I thought that might be the case..poo.  :rolleyes:

I do have a remote shutter release, I'll dig it out.

Thanks

Tracy

#77016 Timer help

Posted by Rocatah on 22 January 2022 - 03:56 PM in Beginner Questions

Hi

I'm wondering if there is a way to have the timer set for 2s for all shots until it is turned off. As it is now, I have to set it before each shot.

I have a D5600

Thanks

Tracy

#76645 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 09 January 2022 - 11:36 AM in Say Hello!

Nikonphotographer

My Sigma is still usable, but the autofocus hunts like crazy. There's 2 focus parts to the lens right?  and if you are tying to focus where the 'join' ia you have to force lens over that point.. But even then there is hunting. Manual focusing is better though. I looked at one of those when I looked at buying a macro lens because they are a very good lens, but I seen videos about the Laowa 100mm 2x lens and I was sold. It was a birthday present for myself.

For christmas my brother bought me a National Trust pass. There are a lot of stately homes that are on my bucket list, and they don't allow flash photography, so ?I'm going to have to learn to shoot in low light too. 

So much to learn, but I'm loving it.

I go tmy Laowa from Wex. They have a number of macro lenses for Z mount.

https://www.wexphoto...acet.version=V2

Probably not the one you want though.

Anyway, have a lovely day

Tracy

#76642 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 09 January 2022 - 07:50 AM in Say Hello!

My Sigma is still usable, but the autofocus hunts like crazy. There's 2 focus parts to the lens right?  and if you are tying to focus where the 'join' ia you have to force lens over that point.. But even then there is hunting. Manual focusing is better though. I looked at one of those when I looked at buying a macro lens because they are a very good lens, but I seen videos about the Laowa 100mm 2x lens and I was sold. It was a birthday present for myself.

For christmas my brother bought me a National Trust pass. There are a lot of stately homes that are on my bucket list, and they don't allow flash photography, so ?I'm going to have to learn to shoot in low light too. 

So much to learn, but I'm loving it.

I go tmy Laowa from Wex. They have a number of macro lenses for Z mount.

https://www.wexphoto...acet.version=V2

Probably not the one you want though.

Anyway, have a lovely day

Tracy

#76635 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 08 January 2022 - 10:40 PM in Say Hello!

Love this lens

http://tracyscott.uk...to/_TAS0439.jpg

#76631 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 08 January 2022 - 06:27 PM in Say Hello!

I found if I followed the link to the first picture, following the left arrow revieled the latest picture.

Think the dark background is an improvement.

I agree.. the black is better.. but it seems it is sharper too.. Do you think so or?

#76629 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 08 January 2022 - 04:49 PM in Say Hello!

Can't see your latest pic Tracy.

Augh.. I know. I put it up flickr like the first one and it kept saying something about incorrect fileformat/location.. something. So ?I put it up on my site, but it's showing a broken like now.

Let me try this:

http://tracyscott.uk...to/_TAS0415.jpg

#76626 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 08 January 2022 - 03:32 PM in Say Hello!

Macro photography has got to be one of the hardest genres to get a high successful rate to start with, I've always had a interest in it, but when I first got into photography (around 45 years ago) it was near impossible to even think about trying with a rangefinder with a 40mm lens, after I got my first SLR, I saved up for a macro zoom lens, although not a true 1:1 macro, it did the job, but success rate wasn't brilliant, just keep trying, and at least these days you haven't got to waist film trying to get the images perfect, these days I'm using a proper 1:1 macro lens, (Sigma 105) and a ring flashlight (Nissin MF-18) with that set up I'm probably getting around 90% success rate.

Just keep trying, and read or watch YouTube videos, you'll get there eventually...

Augh.. I remember film, not so fondly. I had gone on holiday to the south of France in my early 20's. I had a praktica film camera.. I had used it great up until that point. We'd stopped in a little very french village.. oh it was beautiful. Neede some pics from here to look back on in years to come. Put a new 36 reel in and off I went..

We left and continued om our travels. A few miles on and we stopped again so I'm taking new pics, 35, 36, 37, 38, huh? 39, 40, oh no. 41, 42... I gingerly opened the back of the camera and there sat the film, not wound on.. I was gutted...

Sort of put me off photography all together.. Until I bought a Sony Alpha (my first digital camera).. Happened to see something about macro photography, a little bit of research and I also bought the Sigma 105. What a great lens that is.. It needs repairing, but sigma says it to old to repair, I guess if I could have got that lens repaired I would not have bought the Nikon D5600...

Anyway, I'm having a good time trying to figure it out. Youtube has a plethora of macro videos.. I'm taking it all in..

Thanks for the replies guys

Tracy

#76625 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 08 January 2022 - 03:09 PM in Say Hello!

I've been trying again with the moss.. I'm sure this one is better.. What do you think?

_TAS0415.jpg

I did Macro with a Canon F1n film camera years ago, used a constant light source, good tripod, cable release, and sometimes a bellows between the camera and lens. Now with Nikon DSLRs I haven't gotten around to getting a bellows yet and the only close up/Macro I've done has been hand held close ups to this point, no excuse, I have a good tripod, and remote release, a 90mm Tamron f2.8 AF Macro lens as well as several size adapter rings to mount lens to lens, (a trick Peter-Merco_61 showed me) but simply haven't put much into practice yet. 

This taken with my D750 and Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Di Macro 1:1 at f10 hand held  1/250 ISO 1,000.

ytqZ2pDl.jpg

I love this pic... This is what I hope do be doing in the spring/summer, So I've got some time to try and figure this whole thing out.

#76579 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 06 January 2022 - 11:11 AM in Say Hello!

You'll just bore yourself. 

Once you learn the camera, everything else will come easier. 

I know... I actually tried using the flash with a diffuser and the results were very sharp.. I now have to figure out to make things look less 'flash' like. I'm enjoying it though. It's been a long time.

#76545 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 04 January 2022 - 10:42 AM in Say Hello!

I'm going to take up knitting!  :(

#76538 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 03 January 2022 - 04:27 PM in Say Hello!

Do you have touch controls enabled or set to playback only? If they are enabled, you should be able to stretch/pinch the view in LiveView to zoom in for precise manual focus if I remember correctly.

It seems zoom focusing was closer than I thought!

On liveview it is as simple as using the magnify buttons on the body..

Thanks   :D

#76507 Saying hello from North Wales

Posted by Rocatah on 31 December 2021 - 08:27 PM in Say Hello!

Do you have touch controls enabled or set to playback only? If they are enabled, you should be able to stretch/pinch the view in LiveView to zoom in for precise manual focus if I remember correctly.

Hi Merco_61 I've double checked all the settings and can find nothing to do with liveview. The touch controls are set to 'Enable' withh 'Playback' and 'Disable' being the other options.

I've tried pinching the screen but nothing. I'm disappointed.

Thanks for your help. And a happy new year to you