Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Dkap's Content

There have been 16 items by Dkap (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#72839 Setting photo numbering to zero

Posted by Dkap on 30 March 2021 - 12:19 PM in Beginner Questions

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

#72825 Setting photo numbering to zero

Posted by Dkap on 29 March 2021 - 03:43 PM in Beginner Questions

I have used reset shooting menu on my D3500, but when I download images to my hard drive those numbers keep going up. How do I set the numbering on my HDD to zero too?

#71747 Sometimes the shutter doesn't work

Posted by Dkap on 25 January 2021 - 07:03 AM in Beginner Questions

Maybe it has to do with focus acquisition where
the shutter won't work unless focus is confirmed
— if that feature is available that is.

How would you get focus confirmed? Most of the time it focuses, what would cause it not to focus?

#71733 Sometimes the shutter doesn't work

Posted by Dkap on 24 January 2021 - 09:58 AM in Beginner Questions

I've noticed lately that when I try to take a photo the shutter won't work. Most of the time it's fine but I've noticed when I try to take a photo and the D3500 just doesn't want to shoot. I'm using the 18-55 mm lens and Aperture setting.

What would cause it to not shoot some time? Exposure setting? The battery is charged so its not low power.

#71720 Making video pan smoothly

Posted by Dkap on 23 January 2021 - 07:16 AM in Beginner Questions

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

#71702 Making video pan smoothly

Posted by Dkap on 21 January 2021 - 08:48 AM in Beginner Questions

I'm using Aperture setting and its handheld. A tripod would be better. Using 18-55 mm lens. 

I see that 24 fps or 60 fps don't look any different.

#71691 Making video pan smoothly

Posted by Dkap on 20 January 2021 - 10:07 AM in Beginner Questions

I've been playing with the video function and have set it to 24 fps and 60 fps and both seem jerky and not smooth. My Moto G6 phone camera pans smoother than my Nikon D3500. Why is that? How do you get it to pan smoothly?

#71306 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 25 December 2020 - 12:07 PM in Beginner Questions

Why not relax with a few youtube tutorials on the D3500?  Have your camera at hand and follow along. 

Watched a couple videos. Very informative. Settings are now less confusing. ;)

Thanks for all the advice.

#71294 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 11:52 AM in Beginner Questions

Prior to SR, the histogram will help you the best RAW recording. Of
course, given that you shoot RAW, once at the computer, all the re-
sources of a properly exposed file will be at your disposal.

I can offer you some mentoring sessions… that would make
your leaning process quite quicker.

What is SR?  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#71291 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 11:32 AM in Beginner Questions

With such extreme contrast, stay away from the Vivid and Landscape settings for now, until you know your camera better. These two raise the contrast, losing dynamic range.

For landscape shots, shoot in raw to get the maximal exposure latitude. Keep the camera at the standard or neutral Picture Control (I don't remember what PC settings the D3500 has) to get a reliable histogram. Expose to preserve the highlights at all cost as blown highlights are lost forever. Lift the shadows in post. The Moto probably does things like this in the background to get usable snapshots, but a carefully tweaked raw file *will* render a better photo in the end.

What do you mean by Lift the shadows and Expose to preserve highlights? This camera has so many settings it's confusing at first.

#71290 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 11:12 AM in Beginner Questions

Okay, you want to go from this,

JnYpg9Q.jpg

To this!

vpsaUHj.jpg

All you need is more light, a slower exposure than your meter says to use.  I thought you were trying for a certain effect.  Like Peter said, shoot in RAW, maybe play with bracketing, (+ or -) in stops.  This can be done in post also, I use Affinity Photo.

Never used RAW before. Do I make the adjustments after taking the photo or can I adjust before taking a RAW photo?

#71289 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 10:27 AM in Beginner Questions

With such extreme contrast, stay away from the Vivid and Landscape settings for now, until you know your camera better. These two raise the contrast, losing dynamic range.

For landscape shots, shoot in raw to get the maximal exposure latitude. Keep the camera at the standard or neutral Picture Control (I don't remember what PC settings the D3500 has) to get a reliable histogram. Expose to preserve the highlights at all cost as blown highlights are lost forever. Lift the shadows in post. The Moto probably does things like this in the background to get usable snapshots, but a carefully tweaked raw file *will* render a better photo in the end.

Thank you for the advice. I've never used RAW before. Never used histogram either. Where are there instructions for these?

#71286 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 09:45 AM in Beginner Questions

To upload a photo, you can use the attach files option you get when you click the More Reply Options button in the lower right corner under the reply window.

Another way is to upload it to your Gallery space here on the site and then use the BBCode link in your reply.

Could you let us see one of your problematic photos? 

Like this one... overexposed sky and underexposed foreground.

Here's one from the G6 camera and the second from the D3500. I've been using the P setting in Nikon.

Notice how the overall exposure in the G6 is better than the Nikon. How to correct the Nikon?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-12-21_11-38-46_resized.jpg
  • G6view.jpg
  • Nikon1221sm.jpg

#71281 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 08:33 AM in Beginner Questions

You could bump your saturation up +3 and see if that gets you where you want to be.

I set picture control to Vivid. Is this what you are talking about? 

#71279 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 23 December 2020 - 07:11 AM in Beginner Questions

You could bump your saturation up +3 and see if that gets you where you want to be.

Where do I set that ?

How do I uploads photos in this forum without having to have a URL?

#71267 How to get best exposure

Posted by Dkap on 22 December 2020 - 07:28 AM in Beginner Questions

I recently bought a D3500 and I'm getting used to it. There are so many ways to set exposure it gets confusing. It's the first real camera I've bought in 20 years. The last few years I've been doing quite well with my Moto g6 camera even though its limited. I've noticed that I still get better exposures with the g6 than my D3500. I know I need more practice with it but how can I get that overall color richness and good exposure?

I have the settings on Vivid and bought a polarizer filter.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.