Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

tonyzoc's Content

There have been 21 items by tonyzoc (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#86527 Macro lens

Posted by tonyzoc on 19 December 2023 - 09:42 AM in Nikon Lens Discussion

Hello!
I have a Nikon D3100 and am looking for a macro lens. I love landscape photography best and am interested in capturing the smaller details of the outdoors. I have looked at the Tamron SP90MM (Model F017), but wondering if that's too much lens for just an amateur photographer like myself...just looking to enjoy capturing the outdoors "up close". From the limited research I have conducted so far, it appears that macro lenses are good for more than just up close and personal photos, so that's attractive to me as well. I am seeing a price range from $650 to $1K for this lens, so also wondering if there's another brand or model that would work well for me on my Nikon D3100.
I am not terribly well-versed on the technical terms, so any information that would point me to a lens (or more) would be great! I'm also wondering if anyone could direct me to the best source for a macro lens. Camera stores are kind of a thing of the past it seems and the idea of spending this kind of money online makes me nervous unless someone can recommend a reputable source for lenses (please).
Thank you in advance for your help!

You can get the Nikon DX Micro 40mm/2.8 G for under $300 from B&H. It has good reviews, 1:1 macro and is wide enough to be used for landscapes. If you want more distance between you and the subject (say a bee or wasp) then look to the 105/2.8 micro...which runs just under $1000 new.

Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens https://www.bhphotov..._2_8G_AF_S.html

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

#86357 Odd film Processing

Posted by tonyzoc on 06 December 2023 - 09:41 PM in Nikon Film SLRs

Atlanta Film Co. Sells ECN film and has processing services...
https://www.atlantaf...ta Film Company

Also Boutique Film Labs has packages with dev-print-scan options.
https://www.boutique...ct/cinema-film/

#86342 Odd film Processing

Posted by tonyzoc on 04 December 2023 - 09:15 PM in Nikon Film SLRs

Film Photography Project has ECN developing kits.
https://filmphotogra...-1-liter-powder

Removing the remjet layer looks to be just a chemical rinse to remove ...

How do I remove "rem jet" layer from Kodak Vision 3 line of films with FPP's c-41 Kit?

If you're familiar with ECN-2 films then you know that it contains a black carbon base that needs to be removed. Most folks think you need a separate product to remove this rem jet. You don't. Use your thumb and save some cash!

When you're heating your chemistry, keep that bucket of water for your final wash. After your last step (fixer), rinse your film in your of hot water (80 - 102 degrees F). With your thumb, gently rub the non-emulsion side of your film as you remove it from your film reel. Careful not to scratch the emulsion of your film. Final rinse under running water before submerging your film into the two-minute Stabilizer. You will see the black rem jet in your water as you rinse.

That's it! Hang your film to dry and then scan! Enjoy!!!!

#85973 Will the Z8 and Z9 take photos even if not in focus?

Posted by tonyzoc on 11 November 2023 - 02:19 PM in Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

The Coolpix P1000 does have manual focus. I would think the shutter would always fire in MF. From the manual...

Subjects Not Suitable for Autofocus
The camera may not focus as expected in the following situations. In rare cases, the
subject may not be in focus despite the fact that the focus area or the focus indicator
is displayed in green:
• Subject is very dark
• Objects of sharply differing brightness are included in the shooting conditions (e.g.
the sun behind the subject makes that subject appear very dark)
• No contrast between the subject and surroundings (e.g. a portrait subject wearing
a white shirt is standing in front of a white wall)
• Several objects are at different distances from the camera (e.g. the subject is inside
a cage)
• Subjects with repeating patterns (window blinds, buildings with multiple rows of
similarly shaped windows, etc.)
• Subject is moving rapidly
In the situations noted above, try pressing the shutter-release button halfway to
refocus several times, or focus on another subject positioned at the same distance
from the camera as the actual desired subject, and use focus lock (A66).
The camera can also focus using manual focus

#85644 Sigma lenses

Posted by tonyzoc on 26 October 2023 - 09:36 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

I've had a number of Sigma lenses over the years... The 135-400 f/4-5.6 APO is a decent screw drive AF lens, though the newer 120-400 is probably better. Also the MF or AF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 APO is a nice lens that can be had cheap. I did own a Sigma 400/5.6 mirror lens and although it wasn't great, it was small and easy to carry. Another cheap and decent is the 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO is quite underrated I think.

One lens I'm a bit disappointed in is the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC. It's ok stopped down but is soft at 1.4 and I've checked focus. I got the lens for f/1.4 since I have 35/2.8 lenses.

#85163 Nikon 28mm 2.5 non ai

Posted by tonyzoc on 26 September 2023 - 11:57 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

It's a 3.5, I'm a 2 finger hunt and peck typist and didn't notice the typo till you mentioned it

Oh ok. I've got the 28/3.5 but it's an early chrome one from Nikon F days. It's as good as the best lenses I have from that era... like the Angeneiux 28/3.5 or Schneider 28/4. I do think the 28/2.8 AI-s is very good also. In the FX AF realm I use the 20-35/2.8 or a Tamron 28-75/2.8 for that focal length. For my Z5 I have the 24-70/4 which is probably the best of all I mentioned.

#85157 Nikon 28mm 2.5 non ai

Posted by tonyzoc on 26 September 2023 - 08:48 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

any comments, any experience with this lens>

I've got an early Nikkor 28mm f3.5 and a 28mm f/2.8 AI-s. I'm not aware of a 2.5 version. I only use both on film cameras and as such are as good as any 28mm from those eras. If you're looking to mount on a FX or Z body you're better off with a 28/1.8 G or the 24-70/4 S on Z bodies.

#85156 MD-4

Posted by tonyzoc on 26 September 2023 - 08:41 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

I have a Nikon F3 band a F3hp. MD-4 drives for both, worked great a week ago now on both mirror locks up and red light on drive stays on. Have switced frives, battery packs and nothing seems to work

A common problem with the MD-4 is the drive gear is plastic and with age it can split... but the odds of both motors having this issue at the same time seems very unlikely. Here's a video on basic testing...
https://youtu.be/5kS...WC4gX5jlbdE8P9w

Maybe seeing if the drive gear is spinning or not will help diagnose the issue.

#85127 SB-15 in ttl mode

Posted by tonyzoc on 24 September 2023 - 10:01 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

I dont use flash very much, but since I aquired a N90s I thought I would check out the ttl flash fucion. The flash works fine in manual or auto but doesnt flash in ttl. Tried it on my D200, same think the flash icon flashes but no flash. thought it was camera but now thinking its the flash

You may have a defective flash. The N90s should have ttl with the SB-15 according to the user manual.c3656f229c214206183c547fd29b5857.jpg

#84914 New Tamron 35-150mm f/2-2.8 lens for Nikon Z-mount coming next week

Posted by tonyzoc on 10 September 2023 - 04:11 PM in Nikon Lens Discussion

its rumor but if true another game changer of lens tamron 35-150mm F/2.0 to F/2.8

https://nikonrumors....mibextid=Zxz2cZ

I don't quite understand mass appeal of this lens. It's $2000, it a stop faster than other lenses in this range, it does have a highly rated IQ... but how useful is 35-150? Id rather have a 24-70 and a 70-200 at f/2.8. Id rather mount a 35/1.8G, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 when I needed a faster lens. Maybe I need to walk around with this lens for a few days. I got a friend with a Sony who thought it was the greatest lens ever.

#83429 Two favorite lenses

Posted by tonyzoc on 17 June 2023 - 06:09 PM in Nikon Lens Discussion

My favorite from early AF era, it's 35-70mm f/2.8D AF.
People forgot about it, but it was great and useful. The quality is very OK and now the price it's interesting too.
I used a lot for work in events with another old friend of everybody in combination the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D NIKKOR ED
The performance of this pair using Nikon D3x it's more than nice. ^_^

Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 AF ZOOM-NIKKOR
https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/3570.htm

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D NIKKOR ED
https://www.kenrockw...nikon/80200.htm

I have both of these lenses along with the 20-35/2.8 D. The 35-70 and 80-200 (push pull version) I got for under $100 each. The 35-70 tends to develop haze but it's a fairly easy disassemble and clean process with several YouTube videos detailing the work. All 3 make for a nice set to use with an N90s or F4. Although the 80-200 and the F4S are a hearty handful.

The AF 80-200/2.8D works fine in D3x and D4. With only 24.4Mpx and 16.2.Mpx and old sensors.

Maybe D850 with 45.4 Mpx it is not the most adequate to work together with the old AF 80-200/2.8D.
I think that D850 has problems with more lenses about the same as question. Not only the AF 80-200/2.8D.

Guess who is looking for a cheap D3s to work at night with high ISO and only 12.1 Mpx [emoji38]

D850 is too much resolution and Mpx for the kind of work, that I am looking for. Sometimes can cause troubles for me. -_-

I use the 80-200/2.8 D on my D700 and it is reasonably sharp in the center at 2.8... not compared to modern pro lenses but compared to most lenses of that era.

I've recently added 2 lenses to use on the D700 and on my Z5 with the FTZII, both Tamron, the
SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD and the 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD. Both are relatively cheap and excellent IQ. While I have a 28-75/2.8 Tamron to fill the gap, and it's not bad, I'm considering something better like a 24-70. I do have the Z 24-70/4 for the Z5 and its good enough for me considering the 2.8 high price.

#83259 Z or FX lens for Z5

Posted by tonyzoc on 04 June 2023 - 11:44 AM in Nikon FX DSLRs

I bought my Z5 with the 24-70/4 and the FTZ2 FX adapter. I next bought a Tamron 100-400 f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD and I can use it with my D700 or Z5. I think it's a sharp lens and I'm more than pleased with it (under $500). I also recently added the Tamron 15-30/2.8 (first version) for under $400. Another nice lens.

#83094 Story about my 'First PENTAX' and the 'reunion'

Posted by tonyzoc on 14 May 2023 - 01:05 PM in Other Camera Brands

After I left the British Army in 1958 i wanted to get into 'Medical Photography' but no jobs so did 'Microbiological Research' with May & Baker Company, then after getting the first of my Photography Qualifications managed to get a job with 'Breda Studios' in Barking, Essex England - they had a contract to do all the Press Photos for the 'Barking Advertiser' newspaper - I was put saving all their dreadful negs in the Darkroom but occasionally got a Press Photo assignment -- however, using the pre-war Zeiss CONTAX III with it's very small viewfinder was often cutting of top of heads of VIP's such as The Mayor !
One of the Partners had been in the RAF in Singapore - CHEEEP Cameras ! He had a couple of weird cameras called 'Asahi Pentax' thsn nobody had ever heard of with weird lenses called 'Takumars' when all we knew were Leitz Elmars, Zeiss Tessars and Sonnars - but the RESULTS !!! one day I spotted a small crowd of Camera-Starved Brits pressing their noses to the window of the Local Camera Dealers -- I rushed over -- inside was ONE ONLY 'Japanese Camera -- an Asahi Pentax S3' priced £87 ( a FORTUNE !! ) in Pride of Place !
I rushed in, offered my CONTAX in part exchange and rushed out , the Proud Owner of an Asahi Pentax !
Several years and many Photo awards later I sold it for £20 to a Bloke. About 40 years later he contacted me - " Peter -- that camera you sold me doesn't work -- do you want it back?" -- well he delivered a Dusty Box -- inside was my ORIGINAL 1961 Asahi Pentax S3 all filthy ! I cleaned body , took off base-plate , lubricated the Cogs and Levers and tried it -- it 'Creaked Into ACTION once again !'
Now I cannot show the photos as the Nikon UPLOADER will not allow it for some reason ! Only ONE photo allowed ! attachicon.gif 31527021805_71a4a4e5d0_c.jpg

I'm a little late to this post...but...
I believe the S3 was the same as the H3 sold in the states under Honeywell distribution. My aunt, who was a WWII vet, became a medical photographer in NYC. The hospital she worked was often where pro sport stars of NY went. She had given me a picture she took of Babe Ruth a week or two before his passing. Also pics of Joe DiMaggio and even an autographed Joe Namath pic. Anyway, in her later years she gave me all here cameras, including the Pentax H3 with a 55mm f/2 auto-takumar (which I still have and works fine), a Nikon F with the 58/1.4, 55/3.5 micro, and the 105/2.5 lenses. She also gave me a Rolleiflex Automat MX. I did sell off the Nikon and Rolleiflex, unfortunately, but I've since repurchased a couple of Nikon F's and 3 Rolleiflexes. I'm guessing I'm not the only fool who sold off their film cameras in the late 90s only to repurchase them in the 2020's.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#83026 Unknown Nikon F Focus Screen

Posted by tonyzoc on 07 May 2023 - 05:19 PM in Nikon Film SLRs

I just received a box of equipment today that I purchased online from an estate. In the bottom of the box was this focus screen marked Nikon F, type K. I know that all Nikon type K screens have a split image micro prism focusing aid in their center. However, this screen does not. It is just a ground glass much more similar to a type D screen. It is the same construction as a screen for the F or F2, but it is only about 2/3 as thick. It is too thin to fit into an F or F2 body and just rattles around, not making the appropriate contact with the two pins that should hold it in place. It also does not have the tab on the rear side like an F3 screen, so I know it is not for that camera. I just have never seen a screen this thin and have no idea what camera body it should fit into. I have placed an F screen next to it in the first photo to illustrate the difference (unknown screen is on the left, the F screen is on the right). I'm really stumped on this one. Has anyone out there ever seen this screen before and what camera is it used in? Thanks.

I'm thinking this is an early Nikon F screen. I'm not an expert on this, but I know (think?) that early F bodies had a smaller area where the prism seated. I know that I have a Nikon F that I can't put the FTN photomic finder on. I heard they had a modification and some F bodies that allowed for photomic finders to fit, and these bodies have a red dot made near the serial number (again...I think). My early Nikon F has a prism finder with the square window and my FTN finder from my Apollo F body will not fit it. I'm not sure if all my "facts" are correct but I think my premise is correct.

From this page...

https://www.cameraqu...com/nfinder.HTC

The "RED DOT" before the serial number on the late F 65 bodies starting about 6585000 and continuing to about 6603500 indicate these bodies can mount the Photomic T. A small ridge which extended about 3/32" above the top plate on either side of the eyepiece canal had to be removed to allow the mounting of the new Photomic finder The could be done by Nikon, or by independents. Poorly done conversions just filed these edges flat, decreasing the value of the camera. Modified F's initially had a RED DOT in front of the serial number, starting about 6585000. F production continued with the RED DOT, but was stopped at about 6603500. Production resumed starting at 6700000 -- WITHOUT the RED DOT. After F # 6700000, all F's left the factory modified to take the Photomic. Unmodified bodies are worth slightly more to collectors, and slightly less to users, since they can't mount the more modern Photomics. So, if you have an early body and you can't mount a Photomic finder on it, the odds are you have an unmodified F body. On the other hand, maybe you're just a klutz.
Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

#82942 Nikon MB-1 battery door hinge

Posted by tonyzoc on 28 April 2023 - 07:29 AM in Nikon Film SLRs

Well I managed to find 2 MB-1s for $24 plus shipping. One had a broken door so I took the hinge pin out and used it to fix my original mb-1. The 2nd mb-1 worked fine. So I have an extra one now. The hinge pin consists of two pins with a spring between them. All 3 parts slip out the top of the hinge. The bottom only allows the thinner tip post though. So to remove the door, there is a little hole you can push a paper clip into to push the pin down.

#82910 Nikon AF 20mm f/2.8 D

Posted by tonyzoc on 24 April 2023 - 04:36 PM in Nikon Lens Discussion

Not exactly on topic but how does the 20-35/2.8D compare to the 20/2.8 at 20mm? I've got the 20-35 but it is bigger and heavier than the 20. I also have the 20/3.5 AI-s. I can't yet confirm my own testing as I bought these lenses in the past year and I've only shot film with them and haven't developed the rolls yet.

#82872 Nikon MB-1 battery door hinge

Posted by tonyzoc on 20 April 2023 - 07:48 PM in Nikon Film SLRs

I'm not expecting anyone to know, but I thought I'd ask anyway... Ive got an MB-1 battery for the F2 MD-2 and one of the battery doors came off. There was only one pin holding the door on. I'm guessing the complete part is 2 pins, top and bottom, with a spring between. Something like a watch band pin but longer. I got this for $24 as not working, but it actually does work and came with the 2 AA battery packs. The battery packs alone are worth close to $100 for the pair us bought separately. Does anyone have experience with this repair? Or have any ideas? As is, I can still close the battery door with the one pin, but when I open it, the pin falls out.

#82504 First mirrorless advice

Posted by tonyzoc on 12 March 2023 - 07:46 AM in Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

So this week I ended up getting the Z5 with the 24-70/4 S lens and the FTZii adapter. I also got the battery grip. The lens is very sharp and I like the image rendering. I'm still figuring out how I want to use the autofocus...but I'm impressed with eye focus and animal eye focus. It works really well. One thing I'm disappointed with is the battery grip...no vertical controls or release. There are 3rd party grips that have a release, but they use a cable to the remote port. 763056f1faf65945f1a658c4d23273bd.jpg

That's the outfit I ended up buying, and I'm perfectly happy with the results, I never bought the battery grip, as the only advantage would be not having to carry a spare battery in my pocket, which to date, I've never needed, the Nikon battery grip with the vertical shutter release only works on the Z6ii and Z7ii

Yeah I just assumed the grip would have a vertical release and some basic controls. It was kind of a last minute throw in as I was ordering. If I had known I may not have bought it. I still have time to return the grip so I may do that tomorrow.

I'd like to get a ultrawide and some bigger tele zoom... I'm looking at the Tamron 70-300 at around $600... It has decent reviews. Another option is the 80-400 G in the $600-$700 range. I can use it with my D700 and with the FTZii. For wide I have a 20/3.5 AI-s and a AF-D 20-35/2.8 but both in manual focus, which isn't really a problem. So I'm not going to spend $2500 for the 14-24...but I might try to find a used 14-30 in the $600 range.

#82496 First mirrorless advice

Posted by tonyzoc on 11 March 2023 - 08:33 PM in Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

So this week I ended up getting the Z5 with the 24-70/4 S lens and the FTZii adapter. I also got the battery grip. The lens is very sharp and I like the image rendering. I'm still figuring out how I want to use the autofocus...but I'm impressed with eye focus and animal eye focus. It works really well. One thing I'm disappointed with is the battery grip...no vertical controls or release. There are 3rd party grips that have a release, but they use a cable to the remote port. 763056f1faf65945f1a658c4d23273bd.jpg

#81744 First mirrorless advice

Posted by tonyzoc on 03 January 2023 - 07:01 PM in Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

here best thing can do test them out before your buy. mirrorless not for all. also it was weird for me at start not having a shutter showing up and see all action with 1 second delay. i rather see find someone that has one or true camera store try out before you buy. or rent one from one rental places. mirrorless not for all and each hand is different and weight setup is different. once you try out in your hands you know if fits your needs. nikon canon sony and any other camera company makes there body's different. some better for all hands where other not good for large hands or small hands. since Z6 was my first full frame body by nikon i saw light why you want to shot full frame. took me about couple months for me get used to not having shutter. also took me long get use to 1 second delay when shooting mirrorless. since could learn when start shoot and when to stop action shots. go mirrorless and i would go with Z6 or Z7 start with if have good amount full frame lenses. Z5 is like getting d3000 and D5000 series body's will be able to do more with Z6 and Z7 body's i say Z6 if do not have money for Z7. since Z6 better in low light and video. where Z7 better for portraits landscapes.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera store nearby...NYC is 4 hrs away. I looked into renting but it wasn't that cheap and I'd do better just buying one on eBay and reselling it if I didn't like it. I usually get my money back or even make a few bucks. As for lenses, while I have allot...they are mostly manual focus film lenses, non-AI and AI, or autofocus AF and AF-D lenses. I do have a Tamron 28-70/2.8 that's a later G type... Which would be the only lens I might get AF with using the FTZ adapter. I can do a Z7... Actually right now B&H is doing a $1000 discount on the Z7...makes it almost the same price as a new Z5.

I looked at them all last year, and ended up buying the Z5,and spent what I saved by not buying the Z6 on better S glass,24-70 and 14-30 f4.

Reasons I didn't get the Z6, Z5 has 2 card slots, and there SD, which I have a lot of those, the Z6 only has 1, the Z6ii has 2, I didn't need the faster frame rate or better video, a function I've never used on my DSLR'S.

Depending on your computer, you may well have to upgrade it if you try and work on the 45mp files of the Z7, I've just bought a brand new Dell computer, as my old struggled loading Raw files from the Z5, mind you, it was a pretty old computer.

Do I regret going for the Z5 ? absolutely not,it does everything I want it to, I'd rather spend money on good glass and on travelling to use the camera.

I think my computer can handle the larger files...its a Lenovo i7 with 16gb and a solid state hard drive, so its pretty quick for its age.

Why change what isn't broken but if you must make the leap here's some info on image quality...

Z5 has same 24mp sensor 24mp D750
Z6 versions use BSI version of the 24mp sensor which yields slightly better images
Z7 versions use BSI 45mp sensor which will yield higher quality images

Depending on what you do with your final images 24mp may be all you need.

Z cameras are smaller and lighter than DSLR but the lenses are larger so size isn't much different.

I'm just curious as to why the industry is moving away from DSLRs (and I got some money burning a hole in my pocket). The MP isn't that important to me. I've got a D700 and the 12mp images are great. In crop sensors I got a 10mp CCD, 24mp and 26mp. In not making murals so I think 24mp would be fine. As for size and weight...again, not important. I can handle the D700 with battery grip and 80-200/2.8 AF-D, not to mention I have 3 F4's and a Bronica EC...all boat anchors. I do think if I get a Z...in not going to bother getting the FTZ adapter. I'll just get two or 3 Z lenses...maybe the 24-200 to start.

#81729 First mirrorless advice

Posted by tonyzoc on 03 January 2023 - 09:57 AM in Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

I've haven't used a mirrorless camera system, except for a Sony NEX-C3. I have 3 Pentax APC DSLRs and a Nikon D700 with allot of FX glass, so I'm looking at Nikon mirrorless full frame options. My budget isn't a big issue, but I'd prefer to spend under $3000. So I'm looking at the Z5 through Z7ii models. I'd like to get a body, ftz adapter and maybe a Z mount lens like a 24-70 or 24-50 or maybe a prime in the 35 to 50 range.

Frame rate and buffer capacity is not an issue for me. I don't shoot sports and with the wildlife I shoot I maybe have 3-4 frame bursts.

Some questions...
How big a deal is 24mp vs 45mp (Z5 vs Z7)?
What critical feature does a Z7ii have that a Z7 doesn't? Is it the OVF image quality?
Where does the Z6 fit? Is it just a faster Z5?

I thought about renting, but I'd have to spend $200-$400 for a week and I'd rather just buy a used outfit on ebay that I can resell quickly with minimal loss.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Z5 as a first step...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk