Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Baggles's Content

There have been 3 items by Baggles (Search limited from 20-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#13541 Nikon FE - Sample Photos and Specs

Posted by Baggles on 14 January 2014 - 06:01 PM in Camera Sample Photos

The Nikon FE is a joy to use. As soon as you pick one up, you immediately notice the quality of construction that is not present in today's models. This camera was (in the late 70's) sold as an advanced model for amateurs, but also used by pros. It's release followed that of the mechanical FM, but unlike that camera, it is mostly electronic and operated by two watch batteries that power the meter. I understand these batteries last for years. I've had mine for about six months and I am yet to change mine. But even then, should your batteries die (they shouldn't, there is a battery warning light to warn when they are low) there are two mechanical speeds that allow the camera to operate without batteries. M90 (1/90s) and bulb, which is perfect for long exposures at night...startrails and the like.It has an auto mode, which is what we would call 'aperture priority' today. Set this on the speed dial and then select your preferred aperture (on the lens, not with a dial) and you get brilliant exposures every time. It has an exposure lock(push the self timer to the lens) and a simple yet effective way of viewing exposure with a dual needle system. There is also the option to use exposure compensation (to +/-2) and select ISOs from 25 to 3200.By the real beauty of this camera is its simplicity and because of it you are taken back to pure photography. There is no need to worry about which button does what, the exposure setting...white balance etc, just set the exposure, focus and click. And the fact that you can get these for under $100/£100, means this is the cheapest way into ful frame photography. Simply put, this is the film version of the Df, but without the frippery.In short, the FE is a superb camera that I want to use all the time.

Click here to view the camera

#11622 Film Scanners

Posted by Baggles on 17 December 2013 - 04:29 AM in Film Photography

Thanks Sportz2Pix. When I eventually get into a home with enough space I'll be asking the question about enlargers too. Thanks for the tip!

#11562 Film Scanners

Posted by Baggles on 16 December 2013 - 07:40 AM in Film Photography

Hi all

I am about to embark on an unfilled ambition to process my own B&W films (cooking on gas now...). I don't have the space to create my own prints just yet, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good quality and reasonably price film scanner.