Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

GregM1's Content

There have been 64 items by GregM1 (Search limited from 26-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#10973 A good lens for photographing old photographs

Posted by GregM1 on 08 December 2013 - 10:23 AM in Nikon Lens Discussion

I do lots of restorations and sometimes im not able to scan the image. I was thinking of a macro but those might get to much detail from the paper that will need to be toned down. Hoping to hear about which lenses people have tried for it and the quality of results they are getting.  Any flashes? I have used my nikkor 18-200mm and thought the images came out well but they still did not have enough contrast and detail capture as i would have liked.

#8744 D.I.Y. Snoot

Posted by GregM1 on 13 November 2013 - 12:33 PM in Do-it-yourself (DIY)

thanks everyone. hope it is helpful to some people. i found these while stripping the chairs down to recycle metal. as Little Rock Photo says, better than filling a landfill.

another bonus to this set up is the ability to collapse and fit in a camera bag easily. thinking of painting the inside silver to add light transmission. also thinking of modifying it to accept colored filters.

#7561 Graphics Tablet?

Posted by GregM1 on 07 November 2013 - 07:58 PM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

i really like my wacom intuos 2. very customizable control, highly responive, and precise. i have had it for four or five years. no issue or complaints. worth the extra.

#7332 Old Photo Restoration

Posted by GregM1 on 05 November 2013 - 08:44 PM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

You could bring the white level up with levels layer. watch out for the highlights on the edges of the hat and arm bleeding out with brightness. a black to clear graduated filter layer to even the tones from bottom right to upper left. maybe try soft light or pin light layer blending modes at different opacities to get the look you want with the graduated filter.

#6013 Q&A Thread for D610 Giveaway

Posted by GregM1 on 27 October 2013 - 08:32 AM in Official Contests and Events

I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong that has me stuck on 0 entries lol

you will need to log into the counter, then enter the information in all the subsections that appear.

#5849 Refurbed D600 for $1325

Posted by GregM1 on 26 October 2013 - 12:24 PM in Nikon Deals

looks like the price jumped. 1649$

#5253 Nikon D610 Announced

Posted by GregM1 on 21 October 2013 - 06:15 PM in Homepage Posts

With the minimal increase in price over the d600, i would go the extra bit for the added features.

#4796 Macro photography on a budget.

Posted by GregM1 on 19 October 2013 - 01:52 PM in Do-it-yourself (DIY)

i have been looking at macro equipment the last few days. i might give this a try too. thanks for the vid.

#4654 Q&A Thread for D610 Giveaway

Posted by GregM1 on 18 October 2013 - 02:40 PM in Official Contests and Events

i was referring to adam's link. the (error- nikonforum.com) in his last post. thanks though tony.

#4651 Q&A Thread for D610 Giveaway

Posted by GregM1 on 18 October 2013 - 02:27 PM in Official Contests and Events

your link to see the number of entries is an error.

#3592 Raw or Jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 12 October 2013 - 11:15 AM in Beginner Questions

also with raw editing, you can adjust your camera profiling for better color and shadows for each image. For those unaware, you go under the Camera Calibration tab (camera icon). to the drop down under camera profile. Many different color modes to choose. When processing raw, I adjust this first, followed by the lens profile two tabs left. Then I go into color/ exposure corrections.

#3478 Focus bracketing

Posted by GregM1 on 11 October 2013 - 09:25 AM in Photographic Technique

Anyone know of any other programs that accomplish this same effect? For those of us w/out ps

you can download adobe photoshop CS2 from the main adobe site for free.

#3325 Raw or Jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 10 October 2013 - 01:20 AM in Beginner Questions

older versions of photoshop do not update to newest versions of raw. dont know if its a language issue or them trying to push upgrades. i had to upgrade for my d7000. cs4 didnt work with it. works great in cs5, cs6, & cc.

#3322 Who doesn't love wildlife?

Posted by GregM1 on 10 October 2013 - 12:06 AM in Nature and Animals

How about some endangered species? Mexican Grey Wolf and Maned Wolf. Also some cheetah action. Very little processing done. Close to full frame. Shot through fencing, as I am not that crazy to be in there with them. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC4600aaa.jpg
  • _DSC4641baa.jpg
  • _DSC4698aaa.jpg

#3262 Help me save this jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 09 October 2013 - 04:45 PM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

Thanks, GregM1.  I think some of your skills are beyond my ability.

I tried something different.  I used PS Elements 11 and "Open as . . ." to open the jpeg as a "camera RAW" file.  Then I could edit it with the editor that comes up for RAW files.  I tried uploading the result, but apparently it's too big.  Here's the Flickr version (the green/yellow background is the lawn):

10173909564_843e613258_z.jpg
Chipmunk on branch by PrettyCranium, on Flickr

I was not aware of this "open as" feature until now!

i had a very similar result in the raw processor but i dropped that and went old school pre raw repair. glad you are having positive results and are motivated to try more also.

my layer breakdown was, duplicate original, convert the blend mode to screen. combined those two layers and did the auto corrections. those came out dark so i did the brightness contrast layer. used a light blue to paint over the washed out sky. stole the green color from the leaves in the background to paint the blue foreground leaves. used a waming filter on the chipmunk, leaves, and branches. reduced the saturation with the hue/sat layer. used the curves to lower the black intensity. could have gotten a lot cleaner results had i gone back through all the mask and clean up the bleed overs.

#3223 Ever seen the inside of a Nikon lens

Posted by GregM1 on 09 October 2013 - 12:16 PM in Coffee Chat

those have to be slim odds. sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing. i wonder what the batter's expression was.

#3221 Guess who found 3 rolls of Kodachrome that are unexposed...

Posted by GregM1 on 09 October 2013 - 12:07 PM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

If there is not a company that does it anymore, you can probably find a photographer with the chemicals you need that they never had enough film to process. im sure there are a few partial bottles collecting dust somewhere. might want to try posting want to buy adds.

#3218 Help me save this jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 09 October 2013 - 11:55 AM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

i gave it a whirl, came up with this. it could be fixed up a bit more but here is where i stopped. about 15 minutes in photoshop.

this reminds me why i always want to shoot raw too. it could have been fixed more appropriately in less time. i dont miss the jpeg methods. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• post-553-0-54367400-1381336942b.jpg
  • post-553-0-54367400-1381336942c.jpg

#3010 Raw or Jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 08 October 2013 - 11:52 AM in Beginner Questions

there was a fix my photo section the other day, but i no longer see it. if you want me to give it a shot, post it here or send it to me, and ill run it through for you to see what can be done.

#2997 Raw or Jpeg

Posted by GregM1 on 08 October 2013 - 11:19 AM in Beginner Questions

I have been shooting in jpeg, but it looks like I should switch to RAW.  I  have a picture similar to the "opossum butt" above that I have been unable to fix in PS Elements.  I'm not sure if it is just my lack of ability though.

Does anyone have a guide to editing in RAW vs jpeg?  Is it as simple as uploading RAW, editing, and then saving a jpeg version?  And yes, I am a beginner.

yes, that is pretty much the process. lots more editing options with raw though. it saves much more data, even if you can't see it in the original photo.

#2746 Here we go!

Posted by GregM1 on 07 October 2013 - 11:56 AM in Critique

i agree with most of the comments. the location is superb, the colors are wonderfully vibrant, the depth of field is spot on, and the family in the sunbeam really make it a great shot. i also agree the tree is the problem. its like a black marker line through the heart of it. The cabana is a bit large and distracting. it seems to have two main subjects fighting for dominance in the one photo. i think had you moved back enough to capture the tree as a silhouette up to the top and above would have reduced the size of the cabana to an acceptable size and made a great sunset picture but would have also decreased the family size to non relevant. moving closer would have lost the cabana making the family the only main subject. thanks for sharing.

#2699 Who doesn't love wildlife?

Posted by GregM1 on 07 October 2013 - 01:49 AM in Nature and Animals

thanks a lot everyone. im glad you all are enjoying them. ill add some more soon.

#2696 Focus bracketing

Posted by GregM1 on 07 October 2013 - 01:28 AM in Photographic Technique

i love macro shooting. i sold my last one with the olympus i sold when getting into nikon. now im doing a lot of close up with my 18-200mm. ill probably give a few shots of focus bracketing a try with it. might make me feel more like im doing macro work again.

#2695 Getting Low

Posted by GregM1 on 07 October 2013 - 01:23 AM in Photographic Technique

great shots mike. i do this too. the lcd helps a lot when im to lazy to get really low also. lol

#2694 D.I.Y. Lightsphere

Posted by GregM1 on 07 October 2013 - 01:17 AM in Do-it-yourself (DIY)

im always trying new stuff. i also have a clear plastic cup that fits over the end and works like a sphere also. i try to keep my eyes open for new materials to work with. i have a few other projects i should post, from beauty dishes to other snoots to reflectors.