Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Ramshackl's Content

There have been 5 items by Ramshackl (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#8301 Hello! Photographing stars... any tips?

Posted by Ramshackl on 11 November 2013 - 11:50 AM in Say Hello!

How weird is this!....I also shot Pleiades just last night. With my D3000, I used my 18-55mm lens at 38mm, f/5.6 with ISO 100 and a 30 second exposure. Don't like the noise with a high ISO. Don't like the long exposure either, so from now on when I shoot the stars, I'm going with a shorter exposure...less trails.

So here's MY Pleiades.....

Good luck! Hope to see some of those pics here  ;)

Oh my gosh! This is awesome! I envy those who live with the northern lights!! Absolutely beautiful!!

Hi BonOIgirl, I thought since you posted your Pleiades, I should post mine too!

I think my focus is off though :-/

General star field

What a great thread!

I've spent many nights getting chilled to the bone or eaten alive by mosquitos trying to capture the night sky.

DSC_6485.jpg

Wow.

Seriously, great photo - I hope to have something that matches it someday! Can I ask what tripod you have? Mine is a cheap piece of crap, and even a small breeze can be enough to smudge an image :-/

#8156 Hello! Photographing stars... any tips?

Posted by Ramshackl on 10 November 2013 - 04:53 PM in Say Hello!

Wow, thanks loads for the comments and images!

It turns out my original plans for holiday photography in the Lake district were scuppered by ill children & hospital visits. Now that they're better and that, I thought I'd take advantage of the wonderfully clear night and head out into the Peak District National Park to get some shots.

I'll publish the metadata when I've had a chance to properly review the shots, but for now here are the unedited ones straight from my camera. Overall I'm pleased with my first stab at night photography... particularly the shot of the plough. However, feedback is really appreciated- please don't be afraid to call it like it is. I'm here to learn, after all!

Peaks Night 7

Peaks Night 5

View out towards Hathersage

Peaks Night 8

Peaks Night 3

There are a couple more in my image gallery if you're interested.

#5604 Hello! Photographing stars... any tips?

Posted by Ramshackl on 24 October 2013 - 02:39 AM in Say Hello!

Sounds great- I'm looking forward to seeing those- I think I need some more practice post processing.

I'll get some shots and ask your advice I think?

I'll also experiment with some different ISO settings... think it'll take some practice to see what the D40 does best.

#5472 Hello! Photographing stars... any tips?

Posted by Ramshackl on 23 October 2013 - 04:59 AM in Say Hello!

Hello Adam and Stas, thanks loads for the pointers.

I'm heading on holiday next week to the Lake District (North of England), and it'll be very remote. I'm hoping for some clear skies so I can try out some of the techniques mentioned in the links, and your suggestions Adam.

I had a teacher at school who built astrotracers, and I've been meaning to have a go for years. Perhaps a couple of good shots of static skies will help motivate.

I'll post some results... although I can't promise quality!

Ps. Adam, I do have a tripod (it's not great, but will do), but I was going to use the self timer instead of a remote. As a side point, I didn't think there was a remote for the D40?

Nevermind - I just bought the ML-L3 Remote Control from Amazon- hopefully it'll arrive before I go...

#5128 Hello! Photographing stars... any tips?

Posted by Ramshackl on 21 October 2013 - 08:27 AM in Say Hello!

Hello everyone!

I've owned my (beloved) D40 from new, and have very much enjoyed using it. Recently, I've gotten into portraits with my new Prime lens & SB700 flash.

However, my first love (that I've never properly cracked) is photographing stars. I love the idea of shooting celestial events- so much so that I shot the 1999 solar eclipse on the Channel island of Guernsey with my old Minolta SLR.

I haven't managed to successfully capture any shots that I'm proud of with my D40 though :-/

I'm hoping I can meet some like-minded people here to give me some pointers though.

Good to meet you all.

Matt