Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photowalk at the Neon Museum, Las Vegas

Posted by nbanjogal, 11 December 2018 · 2,267 views

This past April, my family and I went to down to Las Vegas, Nevada, for a quick little spring break jaunt, and I've only recently found the time to process some of the photos from that trip.

I purchased a ticket to one of the photowalks at the Neon Museum and had a great time wandering the neon boneyard (the place where old, discarded neon signs go to die, heh.) If you've ever been to the Neon Museum, you'll know that you can only visit as part of a guided tour, during which tour you're not allowed to leave the group or wander or use a tripod (safety purposes!), though I believe you are allowed to take quick snapshots. I'm sure that, as fellow photographers, you all could empathize with my disappointment in such a setup. However (!!!), I discovered that a few times a month, they offer a photowalk. During the photowalk, you are allowed to take your tripod and wander and shoot to your heart's content for about an hour and a half. The photowalk is a bit more expensive than a regular tour—$50 as of right now—but it was totally worth it to me. (But in the interests of the family budget, I left the family in our condo and went by myself.)

I took four lenses and made a slow circuit around the boneyard with each lens, looking for different compositions and pieces of particular interest. I took my Nikkor 105mm, Rokinon 14mm, Nikkor 24–70, and Tamron 70–200. By the time I got to the Tamron, I was bit tired and didn't do much with it. There were maybe four or five other photographers there that evening, and everyone was fairly considerate about not getting in each other's way. Pretty classy bunch of folks.

Anyhow, here are some of my favorite shots—did lots of bracketing, as you can probably tell.

Posted ImageNeon Museum, Las Vegas, NV by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Posted ImageNeon Museum, Neon Museum, Las Vegas, NV by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

If any of you find an opportunity to participate in the Neon Museum photowalk, I'd highly recommend it. Heck, if you give me enough notice, maybe I'll come join you. I'd like to go back and try it again.

OK, I can see the beauty in such a place. Unfortunately there are no such places in Sweden as far as I know

Bengan, I don't know if it's unfortunate or not--this really just a glorified junkyard! :)

What is unfortunate is that so few of the iconic neon signs one sees in old movies and photos have survived in any form.

This is true, Peter. I don't think they started saving them soon enough. Of course, some of that old stuff is still in use in the old section of Vegas (Fremont Street area). 

Bengan, I don't know if it's unfortunate or not--this really just a glorified junkyard! :)

If only every junkyard was like this. I've seen a lot of them not worth the battery drain.

Hi NIcole,

My what a great series on a very interesting subject.  I do find it somewhat offensive that they would have the nerve to charge anything to walk through a graveyard, but then again, that is Las Vegas, NV.  The only reason that city exists is to get their hands on peoples' money.  One question I have though, how can one tell that there has been bracketing?  I tried very hard to search for clues, but was unsuccessful.  Great work on your part and many thanks for sharing.  Happy New Year to you and yours,

Tony and Kay.

Thanks, Tony. Probably the biggest giveaway is the sky--it was blown out when the foreground was properly exposed, and the bracketing eliminated that. Las Vegas is an interesting place. We jokingly call it a monument to vice since there really isn't any other reason for it to exist. XD That being said, we still visit the place! We don't gamble or party, but we have found lots of other reasons to visit. Seems like there's always something to do or see there (my husband's favorite thing to do in Vegas is visit the Pinball Hall of Fame). Eventually I hope we'll see the art installation called Akhob, and there's always a Cirque du Soleil show to see.

March 2024

S M T W T F S
24252627 28 2930