Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
AF Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8D ED

AF Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8D ED

Product Photos

Attached Image: 1986_AF-Zoom-NIKKOR-80-200mm-f-2.8-ED_front.png

Product Number: 1986
Lens Category: Short Tele, Telephoto
Purchase Link: Buy Now at B&H Photo!
GENERAL:  
List Price (USA): $1,224
In Production: Yes
Year Launched: 1996
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Optical Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 150
Max. Magnification (x): 0.24
Coating Type: Super Integrated
Special Optical Elements: Extra-Low Dispersion Element(s) (ED)
Field of View (deg): 30.1 to 12.2
DX Field of View (deg): 20 to 8
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F2.8
Min. Aperture: F22
Number of Aperture Blades: 9
Aperture Ring: Yes
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF-S (Silent wave motor)
Focusing Modes: AF, M
Full-Time AF Override: No
Internal Focusing: No
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: Yes
Internal Zooming: Yes
Other Features: Focus Limiter
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 77
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 87
Collapsed Length (mm): 187
Weight (g): 1,300
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HB-7
Case: CL-43A
In the Box: Hard Case
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

3 Reviews

I've owned this lens for almost 20 years and it still works wonderfully. Tack sharp, almost zero distortion. I use the lens fro landscape, portrait and even sports. The fast f2.8 aperture makes it a very bright and easy to focus lens (even when focusing manually) and provides very shallow DOF. The AF is not the fastest in the world and the camera body MUST have the focusing motor within (ie will not AF on bodies like the D3000 & D5000 series). It is a heavy lens, so it may not be the most suitable lens for backpacking, however if you want a lens that will deliver professional results everytime, and will last forever this is the one.

I bought this lens used from a photography shop here in my area. Absolutely love it on my D610! I use it almost exclusively for inside sports (basketball) and haven't been let down. I wish it focused a hair faster but I'm guessing if I had the likes of the D4 it would (I'm assuming it has a stronger and faster focus motor than the D610). I'm very happy with my decision to purchase this and will keep it for many years to come. 

I just got one last week and the build quality is fantastic, classic old Nikkor build, not some plasticy lens that won't survive more than 10 years.  Bokeh is out standing for a mid length zoom and it's with its straight 9-bladed diaphragm I get the great sun stars in bright points of light I like so much!  It's simply a stunning lens and one I hope Nikon keeps in their inventory for many years to come.

Edit to say, I really like the internal zoom and focus of this old classic also!

neKFoyN.jpg