Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IF ED VR

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IF ED VR

Product Photos

Attached Image: 2161_AF-S-VR-Zoom-NIKKOR-70-300mm-f-4.5-5.6G-IF-ED_front.png

Product Number: 2161
Lens Category: Short Tele, Telephoto, Super Tele
Purchase Link: Buy Now at B&H Photo!
GENERAL:  
List Price (USA): $589
In Production: Yes
Year Launched: 2001
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Optical Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 150
Max. Magnification (x): 0.25
Coating Type: Super Integrated
Special Optical Elements: Extra-Low Dispersion Element(s) (ED)
Field of View (deg): 34.2 to 8.1
DX Field of View (deg): 22.5 to 5.2
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F4.5
Min. Aperture: F32
Number of Aperture Blades: 9
Aperture Ring: No
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF-S (Silent wave motor)
Focusing Modes: M/A, M
Full-Time AF Override: Yes
Internal Focusing: Yes
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: Yes
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
Internal Zooming: No
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 67
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 80
Collapsed Length (mm): 143.5
Weight (g): 745
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HB-36
Case: CL-1022
In the Box: Hood, Lens Pouch
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

4 Reviews

Got this lens to go with my 7100, it's sharp, fast  AF and very sturdy. It's quite heavy so would not be suitable for having on the camera all day if walking but for specific shots, it's great. havent noticed too much degregation when going full zoom to 300mm (this issue has been mentioned in a few online reviews).

Overall i'm really pleased with the results this lens gives. I dont have a huge amount of spare cash to throw at a more expensive lens. This does the job well and should provid me with some stunning pictures.

This is the best of both worlds at a realistic price .DX and FX works a treat.

You will be surprised and this one's performance

Great 70 to 250mm good range

cheers

I have used this lens since purchasing my first DSLR (D80) back in 2006.  I still use the same lens today on my D600 and it takes amazing photos.  It has proved to be very durable and reliable as I have traveled extensively throughout South America and Africa on very intense mountaineering expeditions, rock climbing trips, as well as trekking adventures.  I only wish it was a bit lighter to carry in my pack since I am already required to pack a ton of climbing gear.

I originally bought this lens to get a little bit of length to my Nikon D90 and allow me to shoot pics of my Son when he was playing football, but I've used it for so much more than that. Although the aperture only goes up to f4.5 (5.5 at full length) it is a remarkably fast lens and is great in lower light, for sport or even for lunar shots! I've used if for sports day shots, for discrete close ups without getting in the way, and so much more. I really like this lens and can't recommend it enough.
Whilst at a wedding abroad last year, I put this lens on and stood up on a small balcony at the edge of the early evening crowd and was able to get some of the best relaxed shots I've ever taken without even stepping into the action. People tend to freeze up a bit if you go wandering around with a camera, so this was ideal. What an excellent lens, and so inexpensive too!