Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G

AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G

An affordable and fast prime lens with autofocus. On an FX format camera this lens is a general purpose lens, on a DX camera the lens is a short telephoto lens, suitable for group portraiture.

Product Photos

Attached Image: AF-S_NIKKOR_50mm_f18G_2199.jpg Attached Image: AF-S_NIKKOR_50mm_f18G_2199_optics.jpg

Product Number: 2199
Lens Category: Normal
Purchase Link: Buy Now at B&H Photo!
GENERAL:  
List Price (USA): $264
In Production: Yes
Year Launched: 2011
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Optical Construction: 7 elements in 6 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 45
Max. Magnification (x): 0.15
Coating Type: Super Integrated
Special Optical Elements: Aspherical Element(s) (AS)
Field of View (deg): 47
DX Field of View (deg): 31.5
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F1.8
Min. Aperture: F16
Number of Aperture Blades: 7
Rounded Aperture Blades: No
Aperture Ring: No
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF-S (Silent wave motor)
Focusing Modes: AF, M/A, M
Full-Time AF Override: Yes
Internal Focusing: No
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 58
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 72
Collapsed Length (mm): 52.4
Weight (g): 185
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HB-47
Case: CL-1013
In the Box: Hood, Lens Pouch
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

9 Reviews

This is my favorite lens at the moment, it's currently stuck to my 7100 and I use it for everything. Its a quick focus, silent lens with fantastic results. 

Amazing lense for portraits especially.  It is razor sharp and the depth of field and bokeh are quite beautiful.  I would say it beats the 35mm 1.8 in value for 2 reasons

1. The build quality is slightly better.

2. It can mount on FX cameras

Saying all that I agree with the majority that the 35mm 1.8 is more practical for all round walk about lense. 

I love this lens.....I use it on my d3100.  It takes beautiful photos and the bokeh is awesome!  I do, however, want the 35mm to use in studio.  I can't get far enough away with the 50 to get everyone in the shot....I have limited space!  

I agree this is an awesome lens. I have it on my D3100. This is my go to lens and is always mounted to my camera. It is great in low light and does wonders in blowing out the background. The only time it is not in use is when I need a telephoto or wide angle lens, which is not very often. Final thoughts, a must have lens or if you have the money then you could opt for the 1.4 version but for the money I say it would be extremely difficult to bet the 1.8 version for the money.

Great lens very sharp, used on my D5200. Great price performs awesome fast focus. Outstanding bokeh can not go wrong with this prime!! 

D7000 + 50mm 1.8 = The perfect combination. Great portrait lens.

My first ever SLR lens, nifty fifty as many people call them these days, i use it for all sorts of photography at the moment including portraits, landscape, street photograpy.

Fast and sharp focus out of the box, a cheap purchase considering what abilities it has, even shooting down to 1/10 can be done with a steady hand from my experience.

Also great to reverse and use as a macro lens with the right equipment :)

This is my first prime and now that I have it I wonder why I took so long deciding to buy it. Im getting wonderful sharp portraits of the kids because it auto focuses incredibly quickly and provides for a lovely depth of field. The wide apeture means Im able to ramp up the shutter speed to keep up with them. Fantastic value for money.

I have had this model for about a year now and I must say that it is impressive! Super fast, super sharp, works great in low light, perfect during the day, practically I use it for almost everything. It has more or less replaced my other lenses. Naturally when you are shooting indoors you need a wide angle to capture everything, but if given enough space I would almost always use the 50 mm af-s. 

The other great features are that it is light, small, transportable but at the same time though and durable. And most incredible of all is the price, it is more than affordable, for me this is a prime lens, used for almost 80% of all my shoots.