Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * -

AF Nikkor 28-100mm f1:3.5-5.6G

This is a 1990s(?) kit lens designed for 35mm SLRs but also usable on digital cameras that support the older type of autofocus mechanism. Controls are minimal, just a zoom ring and a tiny ridge just behind the filter mount for manual focus. Since it's a G lens there is no aperture control. There is no distance indication on the lens. Silver and black versions were available.

Product Photos

Attached Image: Nikkor28-100_01.JPG Attached Image: Nikkor28-100_02.JPG Attached Image: Nikkor28-100_03.JPG Attached Image: Nikkor28-100_04.JPG

Lens Category: All-in-one
GENERAL:  
In Production: No
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 56
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F3.5-5.6
Number of Aperture Blades: 7
Rounded Aperture Blades: No
Aperture Ring: No
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF (Screw drive)
Focusing Modes: AF
Full-Time AF Override: Yes
Internal Focusing: No
Distance Scale: No
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
Internal Zooming: No
Other Features: Rotating Front Element
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 62
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 68
Collapsed Length (mm): 103
Weight (g): 260
ACCESSORIES:  
Available Colors: Black, Silver
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

4 Reviews

I picked up one of these lenses as part of a second hand deal. While it's a bit basic, I got reasonably good results with it on a day that wasn't particularly bright, and autofocus was consistently accurate throughout the zoom range. I've only tested it on a D90, and can't say how it performs on FX sensors or 35mm film. But it was designed for film and ought to be OK. The main limitations are the old-style autofocus and the limited controls of the lens - there's no auto-manual switch or aperture control, no vibration reduction, and there isn't even an indication of focal distance on the lens itself, so if you want more manual control you're probably out of luck. But it's cheap and cheerful, lightweight, and possibly useful as the next step up from 18-55mm if you don't want to go for something more expensive.

There's an album of pictures I took with it here:

https://www.flickr.c...157688963375130

and a few examples:

40013693265_ae57110b0b_z_d.jpg

40907413831_c3994f0319_z_d.jpg

27036603408_2ac2eba849_z_d.jpg

39097550540_f27cd7f67f_z_d.jpg

I would like to add that they were made 2002-2005, and the aperture blades are slightly rounded. It was the top-of-the-line kit lens in it's day, the same spot the 24-85 occupies today.