Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR

The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens is a stabilized superzoom lens for Nikon DX DSLRs. It is designed with compactness in mind, and is therefore almost 35% lighter and 2cm shorter than the Similar 18-300mm F3.5-5.6. It is also $100 cheaper than its larger rival, which offers a slightly wider aperture at 300mm. If you're looking for an all-in-one lens for your Nikon and don't want to lug around a lot of weight, you should consider this lens.

Product Photos

Attached Image: nikon18_300mm_dx.jpg

Product Number: 2216
Lens Category: All-in-one
Purchase Link: Buy Now at B&H Photo!
GENERAL:  
List Price (USA): $900
In Production: Yes
Year Launched: 2014
Predecessor: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
OPTICS:  
Format: DX (APS-C)
Optical Construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 48
Max. Magnification (x): 0.32
Zoom/Magnification Ratio (x): 16.7
Coating Type: Super Integrated
Special Optical Elements: Extra-Low Dispersion Element(s) (ED), Aspherical Element(s) (AS)
Field of View (deg): 76 to 5.2
DX Field of View (deg): 76 to 5.2
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F3.5
Min. Aperture: F22
Number of Aperture Blades: 7
Rounded Aperture Blades: Yes
Aperture Ring: No
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF-S (Silent wave motor)
Focusing Modes: AF, M
Full-Time AF Override: No
Internal Focusing: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: Yes
Weather Sealing: Yes
Tripod Collar: No
Internal Zooming: No
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 67
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 79
Collapsed Length (mm): 99
Weight (g): 550
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HB-39
Case: CL-1018
Front Cap: LC-67
Rear Cap: LF-4
In the Box: Front Cap, Rear Cap
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

1 Review

After a lot of thought over this Nikon and the new Tamron 16-300, I bought the Nikon. So hard to compare side by side in the shop although immediately I disliked the jerky clumsy feel of the Tamron zoom. That said the autofocus seemed brilliant... fast and almost silent. The VR also looked excellent and I was keen on the 16mm end as well. Very vague, but the feel decided for me. The Tamron is moisture resistant ( whatever that means) against a proper seal. Again 15 minutes in a shop isn't a reliable test, but optics of both were impressive. I'm sure they are both great lenses. Check out my photo posted today (bg@66harley.com) . Taken hand held at 300m end... pin sharp or what???  I've taken a stack of photos in widely different light conditions and its great. If I know my shoot is mainly in low light conditions, out comes the 35mm 1.8 but other than that, this lens stays on most of the time.  Well done Nikon. (worth the extra $160)