Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
Nikkor 105mm F2.5

Nikkor 105mm F2.5

An excellent manual focus short-tele lens.

Product Photos

Attached Image: c7bb329f397b0de95966ce5e44478d08.jpg Attached Image: 914fb46a75609ca16ab7aa0f356b7d37.jpg

Lens Category: Short Tele
GENERAL:  
In Production: No
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Optical Construction: 5 elements in 4 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 100
Reproduction Ratio: 1:7.7
Coating Type: Nikon Integrated
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F2.5
Min. Aperture: F22
Number of Aperture Blades: 7
Rounded Aperture Blades: No
Aperture Ring: Yes
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: Manual Focus
Internal Focusing: No
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
Other Features: Built-in Hood
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 52
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 64
Collapsed Length (mm): 78
Weight (g): 435
ACCESSORIES:  
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

5 Reviews

This lens is a true classic in all it's versions. It is a bit soft wide open, but sharpens up already at f/2.8. The softness gives a dreamy quality to wide open portraits. Nikon somehow managed to keep the way the 105/2.5 Sonnar drew, but the redesign made it sharp in the corners too in this Gauss design.

The AIS lens with the built-in hood is a bit more difficult to focus precisely than the P black, P.C, K and AI versions because the focus throw is reduced to 140° from 1 m to infinity instead of the earlier 170° throw. It is still not hard to focus, just not quite as easy.

I have had all versions of the 105/2.5 and by far my favourite is the AI. It has the same multicoating as the AIS, but the HS-8 hood is deeper and the longer focus throw is easier to use.

The throw was shortened on most AIS lenses to make them faster to use for PJ work, but I feel the 105/1.8 is a much better PJ lens anyway.