Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * *
AF Nikkor 85mm F1.8D

AF Nikkor 85mm F1.8D

Product Photos

Attached Image: 1931_AF-NIKKOR-85mm-f-1.8D.png

Product Number: 1931
Lens Category: Portrait, Short Tele
GENERAL:  
In Production: No
Successor: AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8G
OPTICS:  
Format: FX (Full-Frame)
Optical Construction: 6 elements in 6 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 85
Max. Magnification (x): 0.11
Coating Type: Super Integrated
APERTURE:  
Rounded Aperture Blades: No
Aperture Ring: Yes
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF (Screw drive)
Focusing Modes: AF, M
Full-Time AF Override: No
Internal Focusing: No
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 62
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 72
Collapsed Length (mm): 58.5
Weight (g): 380
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HN-23
Case: CL-0715
Front Cap: LC-62
Rear Cap: LF-1
In the Box: Hood, Front Cap, Rear Cap
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

3 Reviews

I bought mine on special from KEH in their Bgn grade -- my copy is missing the rubber on the focus ring (which seems to be at least semi-common).

So far I've only used the lens on a D600 (i.e. not on a F100). The results are very very good, sharp, good color, excellent bokeh and separation of focus. On my sample, sometimes I can slow/part focus the lens by tapping on the shutter button... does that mean it is slow? Could be, on Nikon terms, but again, this may be my sample only. In practice I seldom notice a delay, nor have I experienced any hunting.

I could see that VR could be handy with this lens, but for the price these can be had for, I can't see any reason not to buy this AF-D lens.

Here are links to a couple of 2100 pix wide images

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

I have this lens. Have used it a lot for available light photos and action shots at dog shows.  It also does well for canine head shots and portraits.  When on an event shoot, I have it on one of cameras in the bag.  Made lots of money with this lens over the years.  I think I got it back in 2007.

I bought my lens from Overland Photo and am so glad I did.  This has been the best portrait lens I have ever owned.  I have used it on my D90 as well as a D600 and Wow.  I love it.