Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall camera rating: * * * * *
Nikon D7000

Nikon D7000

Nikon’s D7000 features a 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor, 6 fps continuous shooting and full 1080p HD movies with full time autofocus.

Product Photos

Attached Image: D7000_front.png Attached Image: D7000_back.png Attached Image: D7000_left.png Attached Image: D7000_right.png Attached Image: D7000_side.png

Purchase Link: Buy Now at B&H Photo!
GENERAL:  
List Price (USA): $999
In Production: Yes
Launch Date: September 2010
Successor: Nikon D7100
Predecessor: Nikon D90
IMAGE CAPTURE:  
Megapixels: 16.2
Format: DX (APS-C)
Sensor Type: CMOS
Max. Resolution (pixels): 4928 x 3264
Low-Pass Filter: Yes
Sensor Dimensions (mm): 23.6 x 15.6
Min. ISO: 100
Max. ISO: 6400
Expanded ISO Range: 100-25600
ISO Adjustment Steps: 1EV, 1/2EV, 1/3EV
Still File Formats: JPEG, 14-bit RAW, 12-bit RAW, RAW+
Dust Removal Support: Yes
Shooting Modes: Full Auto, Program (P), Aperture Priority (A), Shutter Priority (S), Manual (M), Bulb (B), User, Auto (No Flash), Scene
Additional Features: In-Camera Retouching, Custom Picture Control, Active-D Lighting
PERFORMANCE:  
Processor: EXPEED 2
Minimum Shutter Speed (s): 30
Maximum Shutter Speed (s): 1/8000
Shutter Life (actuations): 1,500
Max. Burst (FPS): 6
Release Modes: Single-Frame, Continuous Lo, Continuous Hi, Self-Timer
VIEWFINDER & LCD:  
LCD Screen Size ("): 3.0
LCD Screen Resolution (dots): 921,000
Live View Mode: Yes
Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism
Viewfinder Magnification (x): 0.95
Viewfinder Frame Coverage (%): 100
METERING:  
Metering Sensor: 2016 pixel RGB sensor
Auto Metering Modes: Matrix, Center-Weighted, Spot
Meter Operating Range (EV): 0 to 20
Exposure Compensation Range (EV): -5 to 5
Exposure Compensation Steps: 1/2EV, 1/3EV
Auto Bracking Frames: 2, 3
Auto Bracketing Modes: Exposure, White Balance, Flash
White Balance Modes: Auto, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Daylight, Shade, Incandescent, Manual Color Temperature
AUTOFOCUS:  
Primary AF Type: Phase Detect Autofocus
AF Sensor: Multi-CAM 4800DX
AF Modes: Single-Servo AF, Continuous AF, Auto-Area AF
AF Points: 39
Minimum Required Aperture: F8
AF Operating Range (EV): -1 to 19
Screwdrive AF Support: Yes
Live View Autofocus: Contrast Detect
Face Detection Support: Yes
VIDEO:  
Movie Mode: Yes
Movie File Formats: MOV, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Built-In Microphone: Mono
External Microphone: Yes
Video Framerates (Size/FPS): 1080p/24, 720p/24, 720p/30, VGA/30
Video Autofocus: Continuous AF
Manual Video Controls: Shutter Speed, Exposure Compensation
FLASH:  
Built-In Flash: Yes
Flash Sync Speed (s): 1/250
Flash Compensation Range (EV): -3 to 1
Supported Flash Modes: Red-Eye Reduction, Slow-Speed Sync, Rear-Curtain Sync
Hotshoe: Yes
BODY:  
Mount Type: Nikon F Mount
Number of Media Slots: 2
Compatible Card Types: SD, SDHC, SDXC
Width (mm): 132
Height (mm): 103
Depth (mm): 77
Weight (g): 690
Connectivity: Universal Hotshoe, USB 2, Mini-Jack Audio Input, Mini-Jack Audio Output, HDMI, Eye-Fi Native Support
Battery Grip: Yes
Battery Model: EN-EL15
Battery Life (Frames): 1050
Power Adapter Support: Yes
Weather Sealing: Yes
Included Accessories: EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
MH-25 QuickCharger
DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
DK-21 Rubber Eyecup
UC-E4 USB Cable
EG-D2 Audio Video Cable
AN-DC1 Camera Strap
BM-11 LCD Monitor Cover
BF-1B Body Cap
BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cover
ViewNX 2 CD-ROM
Please use the area below for camera reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

6 Reviews

The D7000 was a breakthrough camera when you considered the price and features. I've owned mine for almost 2 years now, shot approx 50,000 images and have never been disappointed. The fact that I was able to use all of my older AI prime lenses made this body perfect. Add to that a very fast frame rate, a tough, durable body, custom menus and 2 custom exposure modes, excellent metering and of course CLS flash control with the built-in flash you have a lot of 'bang-for-the-buck'. Those of us who shot film will liken the value of this DSLR to the F90x. 

My only beef - I wish it had a 5 frame bracketing instead of only 3.

To see lots of my images made with the D7000 look on this forum for userID  'ScenicsAbound'

Can't wait to get my hands on the D7100 :)

love my d7000. love it. love it alot. within days of getting this camera, i decided to sell my previous system for more gear for the newer. has great noise control. everypart is fast. great control lay out.

I have a couple of minor quibbles with this camera. I cant shoot video at 30fps in 1080, it only does 24fps at that resolution. And the steep trade-in cost that I have to endure to get to the next step. Pain which everyone feels in the hobby from time to time. I bought the battery holder / larger grip thinking perhaps I could use it for the 7100 when it came out, but apparently they are not the same.

While there are lots of reasons to praise and enjoy this camera, these are my little points of pain with it. For future reference we could do without some of the old film features that no longer make any sense. I would also like to see all manufacturers go toward video with more enthusiasm, making great lenses that have constant focus while zooming, and constant F stop. Digital compensation for chromatic distortion is not a problem so compensating automatically in camera should be less painful. Right now I use manual focus pulls and do limited zooming because of the lens limits. I would really like to see them start with a video lens for wedding photography, say the traditional range 18-70 with the features I have suggested in a DX. 

what a great camera. a big step up in tech from my d80. much easier and better made than the other company's camera. great in low light.

I've had my D7000 for about a year.  Great battery life, quick access to settings,and very good dynamic range are the things I like the most.  If they also added one of those flippy twisty LCD screens, things would be perfect.  I do some macro stuff in the woods and it would keep me from laying on the ground to line up a shot.  

This camera is great!