Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
- - - - -

Nikon D810 Announced

nikon d810 d810 fx dslr

Nikon has just officially announced the Nikon D810, a high-resolution FX DSLR that will be replacing the D800/D800E duo launched in 2012.

While the D810 features the same 36.3-megapixel sensor resolution as the D800, it has received a host of improvements in many key areas, including still imaging, performance, video, and autofocus. Like the D800E, the D810's sensor does not include an low-pass filter. Also, the D810 has received the new EXPEED 4 image processing, which is 30% faster than the EXPEED 3 chip found in the D800/D800E. Thanks to this, the D810 is receiving many of the same enhancements that were rolled out in the D4s earlier this year, and then some!

Posted Image

The D810 will start shipping on July 17th and it is already available for pre-order at B&H for $3296.95- the same price as the D800E.

Read on for a detailed breakdown on what's new in the Nikon D810.

The features listed below are new or improved compared in the Nikon D810 compared to the D800/D800E.

Image Capture
  • 36.3-megapixel sensor with no Optical Low-Pass Filter
  • EXPEED 4 processor (30% faster than EXPEED 3)
  • Improved noise performance
  • Larger base ISO range: 64-12,800, up from 100-6400
  • Larger expanded ISO range: 32-51,200, up from 50-25,600
  • 12-bit uncompressed Small RAW format
  • Larger continuous buffer
  • Higher continuous framerate: 5FPS in FX mode, 6 FPS in crop mode, 7 FPS in crop mode with battery grip (1 FPS faster, up from 4/5/6)
  • New "Flat" Picture Control preset
  • Clarity option added to Picture Control
  • Picture Control settings can now be adjusted in finer 0.25-step increments
  • Unlimited continuous shooting (4-30 second exposures) for astrophotography
  • Enhanced shutter with Q and Qc (quiet continuous) support
  • Electronic front-curtain shutter can reduce internal vibrations (available in both live view and viewfinder shooting)
  • Up to 9999 frames during interval shooting (up from 999)
Metering/White Balance/Autofocus
  • New highlight-weighted metering for harsh indoor lighting
  • Faster autofocus processing
  • New Group Area AF (5 sensors can be used as a group)
  • 6 white balance presets (up from 3)
  • Spot white balance in live view
  • Possible to disable face detection via a custom setting
Video and Live View
  • 60FPS maximum framerate in 1080p mode (up from 30FPS)
  • Larger ISO range: 64-Hi2 (up from 100-Hi2)
  • Simultaneous recording to memory card and HDMI recorded
  • Interval and time-lapse exposure smoothing
  • Auto ISO in manual exposure mode to smooth exposure transitions
  • Selectable auto frequency range: wide or voice
  • Built-in stereo microphone (compared to mono in the D800/D800E)
  • One-button zoom image preview
  • Highlight display (zebra stripes)
  • Split screen zoom (stills)
  • Full-aperture metering during live view
  • Live view: selectable image area
Handling and Ergonomics
  • Improved battery life: up to 30% more photos (1200, up from 900 CIPA standard)
  • Deeper grip
  • i (secondary info) button added
  • Larger 3.2" LCD with 1229k dots (up from 921k dots)
  • Improved viewfinder coatings plus OLED information display
While many of these changes are primarily geared toward videographers and live view users, the performance enhancements make the D810 considerably more versatile in the field than the D800 or D800E. Many reviewers complained about the slow 4FPS framerate in the old cameras, and Nikon addressed this by bumping the burst mode up to 5FPS in FX mode and a respectable 6FPS in 1.2x crop mode or DX mode. The EXPEED4 processor and addition of a small RAW format will also make life easier for users that make frequent use of burst mode, and the smaller RAW format will save you some disk space while still delivering better image quality than JPEGs. The better battery life won't hurt, either, as the D800/800E were power hogs in live view mode.

The D810 also delivers some handy features for the most demanding photographers: faster autofocus, ground area AF, and new white balance and metering options.

From an image quality point of view, it will be interesting to see how the D810 deals with noise, especially at the new low ISO settings (32 and 64). While the improvement in image quality may be minimal, when combined with the other enhancements that the D810 has received, it may be a more compelling upgrade for users who skipped the D800 or D800E for their somewhat slow performance and big files. JPEG shooters will also enjoy the new Clarity Picture Control setting.

For more product photos and the full D810 specifications, visit its entry in our camera database.

It's evident that Nikon is becoming increasingly competitive in the HDSLR market. The D810 is Nikon's best HDSLR to date, and it is therefore also being sold in a "filmmaker's kit" that includes 3 prime lenses (the Nikkor 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm F1.8), Nikon's external mic (ME-1), an external video recorder, 2 ND filters, an HDMI cable, and 2 extra EN-EL15 batteries.

Posted Image

Convinced? Head over to B&H and pre-order your D810 now, or wait for our comparative review of Nikon's latest FX body.

6 Comments

I love my D800E but I like the improvements of this successor. Theres so many improvements but what stands out for me is the ISO, frame rate improvement, focus improvement which was already fast in the D800E, and Clarity Control. Can't wait until its available. 

I want it!

Well I guess there will be some D800 and D800Es listed in ebay now.  Is Nikon offering this as a prize for any up and coming photographers?  I would love to have the opportunity to shoot with it, but the cost is prohibitive. 

Well I guess there will be some D800 and D800Es listed in ebay now. Is Nikon offering this as a prize for any up and coming photographers? I would love to have the opportunity to shoot with it, but the cost is prohibitive.

I'm not going to sell my D800E it will now become my backup. Just going to try a little harder at selling my Pentax k-3.

The positive thing about this D810 release is that the D800 is 450$ off at one of the camera stores here now. So someone's going to get a deal.
My D800e stays as well. I may look at this when more paying gigs show up. But for now, I stick with what I have for work.

Maybe if no D400 shows up within the next year or two....