Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
- - - - -

Nikon D4s Previewed at CES

At CES 2014 Nikon unveiled some preliminary details about the Nikon D4s, a professional DSLR slated to succeed the flagship D4 later this year.

Attached Image: d4s.png

According to the official press release, the D4s will incorporate the new EXPEED 4 image processing engine which will in turn lead to improvements to in-camera image processing as well as HD video performance. The D4s will offer more full HD video recording framerates than the D4, and it will also have an improved autofocus system.

The release date and pricing of the new Nikon flagship has yet to be announced. The camera will be on display at CES 2014 in Las Vegas from January 7-10, 2014.

18 Comments

Hard to believe there isn't a price and spec sheet leakes out there in the bloggophere.

Would love to get my hands on one of these....I can but dream

Dreams only for me too--the D4 usually runs around $6000. I can't imagine this one will be any less. If I had $6k to spend on photography, it would immediately go to lenses.

Hard to believe there isn't a price and spec sheet leakes out there in the bloggophere.

X2

Dreams only for me too--the D4 usually runs around $6000. I can't imagine this one will be any less. If I had $6k to spend on photography, it would immediately go to lenses.

I certaionly understand your point.  Manytypes of photography don't need fast cameras and bazooka lenses.  But for those of us that do: shoot action and shoot in the dark, the D4 or the D3s reighn supreme.  No one said it was cheap to play the games that photographers play.

No one said it was cheap to play the games that photographers play.

No they certainly didn't, even for people who don't need a D4 or D3s. Since I can live without the D4 (for now :) ), I'm content to work with the camera body I have and put more money toward quality lenses. Maybe someday when I've got all the lenses I currently covet, I'll start looking at a camera the caliber of a D4, and maybe by then I'll be good enough to justify it…because that's a long, long time away.

No they certainly didn't, even for people who don't need a D4 or D3s. Since I can live without the D4 (for now :) ), I'm content to work with the camera body I have and put more money toward quality lenses. Maybe someday when I've got all the lenses I currently covet, I'll start looking at a camera the caliber of a D4, and maybe by then I'll be good enough to justify it…because that's a long, long time away.

IMHO, I agree with your statements.  The "correct" time to upgrade, move to a different platform, however you want to talk about it is when the equipment you have doesn't do what you need it to do (anymore) because you have new ideas about what you are trying to accomplish.

This camera is made primarily for professional press and sports photographers. Most other photographers will not need this and can accomplish nearly everything else with a lesser priced body.

The Nikon Df has recently been crowned low light king by DxoMark. We'll have to see if this can surpass it. Even if it manages to edge it out, being $3000 more than the Df will certainly not be worth it for anyone just getting it for low light reasons.

The D3s and D4 used to somewhat justify their high prices when they were far and away the low light champs, but now lesser price models are catching up and even passing them.

I love my D4 and it took a long time both to justify it and the cost, but I can honestly say its been so worth it, but new glass is a huge step forward

This camera is made primarily for professional press and sports photographers. Most other photographers will not need this and can accomplish nearly everything else with a lesser priced body.

I completely agree!  I would argue that you can accomplish press and sports photography without that body as well.  However, the more capable the camera, the better off the photographer will be if the photographer understands how to use it.

The Nikon Df has recently been crowned low light king by DxoMark. We'll have to see if this can surpass it. Even if it manages to edge it out, being $3000 more than the Df will certainly not be worth it for anyone just getting it for low light reasons.

The D3s and D4 used to somewhat justify their high prices when they were far and away the low light champs, but now lesser price models are catching up and even passing them.

While the D4 and D3s certainly reign supreme as the low light kings alegedly along with the Df, the bigboy cameras are so much more than low light cameras.  If you have ever shot a bird in flight, followed a racecar around the track shot sports, or recorded video you will know what I am talking about.  AF tracking and speed is like nothing else.

An expensive specialty tool?  Sure.  But as my now-dead grandfather would say, "The right tool for the job."

Treat yourself and rent on some time.

Sure, most won't need it or want to afford it, but wow!  what a tool.

Oh, I don't doubt for a second that it's definitely the right tool for those specialty shooters.

how much would a refurbished one cost u ? this is my dream camera !

Reported today (Feb 10th) D4 has been discontinued, according to several of the blog site.  They are expecting a formal announcement on Tuesday, the 11th.

Grace, as for your question about a refurb, the D4 refurb looks to be about $5,500US

http://www.nikonusa..../25482B/D4.html

Wow!  Didn't think they'd "zap" the D4 that fast...figured they'd have at least a bit of an overlap...I'm wondering if shops will drop their prices on any D4 bodies they have left once they start getting in their D4S bodies...

Wow!  Didn't think they'd "zap" the D4 that fast...figured they'd have at least a bit of an overlap...I'm wondering if shops will drop their prices on any D4 bodies they have left once they start getting in their D4S bodies...

Right.  I would suggest there are not that many D4 cameras in the marketplace.  Those with them will continue to use them and not upgrade.  Now with that said, expect a D4x in th enext year or so, as a parallel to the D3x.

I've played with a D3. It's really heavy. 

I would love to have one, but I need some pro grade lenses a lot more. 

Right.  I would suggest there are not that many D4 cameras in the marketplace.  Those with them will continue to use them and not upgrade.  Now with that said, expect a D4x in th enext year or so, as a parallel to the D3x.

I agree with you there...on both counts...