Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
- - - - -

Nikkor 35mm F1.8G ED Announced

Nikon's all-new AF-S Nikkor 35mm F1.8G ED, not to be confused with the AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G, is a much-awaited addition to Nikon's likeup of affordable full-frame primes.

Posted Image

This $599 lens is less than half the price of its bigger cousin, the acclaimed 35mm F1.4G, and it is more compact and much lighter at just 305 grams. Although it lacks the Nano Crystal Coating, it still looks like a great pro-quality lens for those who don't want to spend a fortune on the fastest primes available.

Full specifications for this lens can be found in our lens database; Nikon expects it to ship on February 20th.

Click here to pre-order your 35mm at B&H and be the first to get it!

9 Comments

Way too expensive.  I will buy the Sigma.  

The Sigma is twice the size and weight.  For the new Df, this lens looks like a nice match.  Let's hope this lens has good f1.8 performance and bokeh. I've put the Sigma 35/f1.4 Art on a Df and it's not as comfortable as this lens would be.  

I want this lens. :)

The Sigma is twice the size and weight. For the new Df, this lens looks like a nice match. Let's hope this lens has good f1.8 performance and bokeh. I've put the Sigma 35/f1.4 Art on a Df and it's not as comfortable as this lens would be.

I'm sure they will sell a lot of them. At $399, I would have bought one. I will deal with the extra size and weight, at this price.

I'm sure they will sell a lot of them. At $399, I would have bought one. I will deal with the extra size and weight, at this price.

Whereas I'd pay more for a lens to get less size/weight in its class for my Df.  That is, within limits of course. 

At $1100 less than the F1.4 version, I would have expected more positive remarks about this lens!  It's basically the equivalent of the 28mm F1.8 vs 24mm F1.4 debate, where the price difference is similar.

Whereas I'd pay more for a lens to get less size/weight in its class for my Df.  That is, within limits of course. 

Sure, just because it's not what I want, for the money, doesn't mean it isn't what others want.  This lens would have to be dramatically better than the Sigma to interest me at this point, but I don't see that happening.  When I want to go small, I carry my NEX.  I don't mind my SLR kit being a bit heavier.  

I can't see it replacing either of my 35 mm lenses, perhaps complement them...

I will probably buy one when they become available, just to have AF on a 35.

My 35/2 O-nikkor has probably produced the highest percentage of keepers of all my lenses, and the AI 35/1.4 is magic when you nail everything but it's not an easy lens to use well.

looks like a wonderful lens