Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
- - - - -

Nikon DF and Special Edition 50mm F1.8 Lens Announced

Nikon has just announced the new Nikon DF, a retro-styled DSLR with a "de-crippled" mount that supports even Nikon's oldest F-mount lenses. The DF will optionally be available with an AF-S 50mm F1.8G Special Edition lens that matches its design.

Posted Image

The full specifications for the Nikon DF as well as the new 50mm lens are now available in our databases. In the US, the camera body will retail for $2749, while the 50mm lens kit is an extra $250. Read on for more about this exciting camera!

The DF will be produced in both silver and black: both very elegant finishes.

Posted Image

Even though the camera looks like an older film body, it's packed with the latest technology. At its heart is the 16.2-megapixel FX format sensor from the Nikon D4 as well as the fast EXPEED 3 processor, which promises to deliver the same exceptional image quality that we've seen in the D4. Other specifications are shared with the D600/D610, such as the 39-point Multi-CAM 4800 autofocus system and 5.5FPS burst mode. The DF is only for stills, however: even though it has a live view mode, it cannot be used to record videos.

Looking at the top of the camera, we can observe mechanical switches for all basic shooting controls, just like in the old days. We have an exposure compensation dial, an ISO dial (which does all the way from ISO 50/L1 to ISO 204,800/H4), a shutter speed dial, and a classic shutter release button. The camera even supports an old-fashioned cable release!

Posted Image

The back of the camera, on the other hand, looks quite contemporary. At least Nikon didn't cheese out and try to make an the LCD look like a data back! Jokes aside, the interface on the back looks very similar to that of the D600/D610. The LCD screen measures 3.2" diagonally and has a resolution of 921k dots (VGA).

Posted Image

The AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Special Edition, pictured below, is nothing more than a cosmetically-modified version of the standard AF-S 50mm F1.8G. Even though it looks nice when paired with the DF, an older F-mount lens with an aperture ring would look even better!

Posted Image

Although the camera may look a bit bulky, its design is spot-on, and it only weighs 710 grams, making it Nikon's lightest full-frame camera.

Posted Image

The Nikon DF looks like a compelling camera for fans of manual lenses as well as fans of retro design. Only time will tell, however, whether or not the high-end build quality and de-crippled mount will justify the $2749 price tag, which puts it on par with the more capable Nikon D800. We're looking forward to reading your comments about this camera!

Links:

22 Comments

The camera looks good but I will probably pick up the lens well before I dream of getting the body. If I make any money from my hobby though, the body may be in the cards. :)

Perhaps it's because I was never a serious film shooter, but I prefer E-dials(this only has 1).  I'd rather change the controls without removing my eye from the finder.  I can appreciate the vintage look of an old film camera. So many of them are works of art.  I think this one falls short.  It looks too cluttered.  I'd like to see it a bit wider, but otherwise less bulky.  I prefer the A7R for ergonomics and I prefer the E-M1 for looks.  

I do like this. It appeals to my liking for the cameras I used to use but I'm afraid this one is a little out of my price range.

Perhaps it's because I was never a serious film shooter, but I prefer E-dials(this only has 1).  I'd rather change the controls without removing my eye from the finder.  I can appreciate the vintage look of an old film camera. So many of them are works of art.  I think this one falls short.  It looks too cluttered.  I'd like to see it a bit wider, but otherwise less bulky.  I prefer the A7R for ergonomics and I prefer the E-M1 for looks.  

It's got 2, the one in the front just looks retro ;)

I think I'd get a 610 in preference to this. Does this do anything a 610 doesn't (other than the actual sensor specs)?

That front dial is just like my P7100:

intro.jpg

Looks very, very nice. I like all the retro manual controls. It is a bit pricey, though.

I do wish they'd have left the little FX insignia off as it doesn't fit with the retro look. Maybe at least make it silver or white instead of yellow.

Black paint will fix that.

I definitely prefer the look of this lens over the standard issue.

only 1 card slot. retro in a bad way. nice 50mm though

I guess there was no room to put 1/8000 sec on the dial so they did not include it ;)

only 1 card slot. retro in a bad way. nice 50mm though

I never find being without a 2nd slot a nuisance on the D700.  But this camera is more megapixels.  With the size of memory cards these days, you should still be able to get hundreds of shots on one card.  Switching cards doesn't take too much time on any camera.  I don't think I'd be as upset over not having the dual slots as I would about not having video (for this price anyway).

As someone who still uses his old Nikon FA once in a while, this would be a great new family member - the size, the look, the feel of the dials, etc. 

Now I just have to save up some $$$ for it!

Too many choices! Nikon added a full frame camera with a retro look. For about a thousand dollars less, a full frame Nikon can be had - D600 or D610. I gotta think that quality control choose the new model number D610 so as not to assimilate with the D600 and all its first generation shutter woes ( oil spots/sensor dust ). In the past Nikon would introduce a digital DX ie D70 then tweak it as a D70s. Not so with the D600...IMO

If I wanted to whip out my old Olympus Om1n and shoot film, then I don't need a digital retro-look. For now its a D600 and its 29mB raw picture files

I have the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1.8 G and it works well with my D3200.....Cant see spending 2700.00 on a body that looks cool......way overpriced although if I were to have the opportunity to use one from a sponsor I would jump on it!

I am torn. The 'sensible' side of me says "grab a D600 for around $1,300."  (I think the sensor spot issue is greatly overblown.)  The not-so-sensible side says "The Df is the camera you have been waiting for Nikon to make--go for it!" (at more than twice the price). 

I'm waiting for reviews on the Df to come out before I decide.  But these are the only two Nikons I would consider at this point.  I don't want anything with a sensor larger than 24 mp.  And when it comes down to a choice between the D600 and D610, I would go for the bargain.

I'm loving the style on this camera. . could be a fantastic addition to my bag
Everything old is new again. I wonder how long it will take Nikon to make the D-sp? With an APS-c sensor and the mirrorless technology installed in a remake of the Nikon SP rangefinder camera and joy will abound! How's about a digital Brownie? The Df is only something to remind everyone of those days when Nikon was THE name in photography. Pure photography my butt. This is nothing more than a sales boosting gimmick. Nikon should be ashamed. BWTHDIK?

Everything old is new again. I wonder how long it will take Nikon to make the D-sp? With an APS-c sensor and the mirrorless technology installed in a remake of the Nikon SP rangefinder camera and joy will abound! How's about a digital Brownie? The Df is only something to remind everyone of those days when Nikon was THE name in photography. Pure photography my butt. This is nothing more than a sales boosting gimmick. Nikon should be ashamed. BWTHDIK?

Ashamed? For what? Coming up with another product to help them rake in the bucks? 

A digital Brownie. Hmmm.... that's a great idea! :)

Nikon should be ashamed that they would rather regress to the past instead of attempting to make the absolute best photo equipment on the planet. How many companies out there depend on the past to advance their quality? Rolls Royce? Leica? Hasselblad? Anyone?
Nikon rolled out the D610 in less than a year with a new shutter assembly and screwed over their customers of the D600. Now THATS how you show loyalty to your customer base. I have owned and still own Nikon equipment, but that does not blind me to the FACT that the bean counters are in charge now. I firmly believe that Nikon had better wake up and smell the coffee. Without customers, Nikon will be joining Kodak and Circuit City in the has-been role.
BTJMTCW.

Just out of couriosity, Does anyone know if this new DF camera will be made in either gold or chrome finish? A friend said that he heard about a designer customizing one, but Im just wondering if Nikon will consider the idea.

Thank you

Ashamed? For what? Coming up with another product to help them rake in the bucks? 

A digital Brownie. Hmmm.... that's a great idea! :)

Sign me up for the digital Brownie........I want one...... :D

I just like the way it looks.  I never had a film Nikon, but this reminds me of the days when I first started.