Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
* * * * -

Nikon D610 Announced

d610 dslr camera fx full-frame

Nikon has just announced the D610 FX format camera, an evolution of the D600 with only a handful of small improvements. The D610 features a newly-designed shutter mechanism that (hopefully) addresses the infamous build buildup issue that plagued the D600. The new shutter realizes a maximum burst framerate of 6FPS, up from the D600's 5.5FPS. In addition, the D610 features a new Qc (Quiet Continuous) shooting mode that enables quiet shooting at approximately 3FPS. Nikon also promises that the D610 will deliver improved white balance performance for portraiture and in artificial lighting. Finally, the D610 has gotten a larger buffer that can now store up to 100 basic JPEG images (51 fine).

The new D610 body is already available for pre-order for $1999, $100 less than the was D600 at launch. Follow the link below if you'd like to get a D610:As a result of this announcement, we will be updating our D600 giveaway to feature the D610 as the grand prize!

In the US, the D610 will be avilable in three lens kits in addition to the body only.It is unusual for a manufacturer to release a new body primarily to address an issue found in an older camera. While we can't complain about the D610's spec improvements, they are so minor that we believe the D610 and D600 will look the same from the point of view of end users, minus the dust buildup issue.

For the full D610 specifications, please visit its entry in our camera database.

Product photos:
Attached Image: d610.jpg
Attached Image: d6102.jpg
Attached Image: d6103.jpg

197 Comments

Should be interesting, pretty controversial update.

I hate updated so soon after they released a model and I bought the earlier model dammit!

rocknrumble, so did I...  It's okay, I still love my D600, and I think it's still a darn fine camera. I think I have to go get the sensor cleaned pretty soon though. Was just looking at some photos I took this weekend--ugh. Dust spots galore.

Wow

Yeah I do love my D600. I am heading into Nikon tomorrow to get my sensor cleaned. :)

I have been waiting several months on this update, however, in the UK, the list price for this is nearly £1800 which is similar to D800. I am very disappointed with this and hope that this price is incorrect. I will not be buying one at this price now - nearly £500 more than the current D600 to fix a design issue caused by Nikon. I truly hope that Nikon have got the UK price wrong and when it eventually goes on sale, the price will be more reflective of the current D600 price.

I have been waiting several months on this update, however, in the UK, the list price for this is nearly £1800 which is similar to D800. I am very disappointed with this and hope that this price is incorrect. I will not be buying one at this price now - nearly £500 more than the current D600 to fix a design issue caused by Nikon. I truly hope that Nikon have got the UK price wrong and when it eventually goes on sale, the price will be more reflective of the current D600 price.

This was the price of the D600 when it was released give it a couple of months then it will drop

Are the 600 series camera's full frame camera's?

This was the price of the D600 when it was released give it a couple of months then it will drop

Perhaps, but why would you buy a D610 at £1799 when you could buy a D800 (UK stock) for less than £100 more than this and if you shop around and happy to take grey import, then you could pick a D800 for less than the price of a new D610. I just fail to see what significant improvement they have made to justify nearly 30% price hike. Sure they have added a couple of other "improvements", but they had to do this in order to justify the upgrade from D600 to D610 as more than just fixing a shutter mechanism design issue (which they will never admit to anyway, but in reality that is the truth). I think they have got the UK starting price way wrong and it may come back to bite them. As I said, I have been waiting to buy a D610 for several months now but will not be doing so any time soon now. If I did not have so much invested in lenses I would move to Canon 6D tomorrow (my other half already uses this so I know it to be a fantastic camera). I do not wish the burdon of processing 36Mp images of the D800 however, if I have to spend nearly £1800 on a new body then it will without doubt be D800 for its better build quality - I can always use it in x1.2 crop mode to reduce the file size.  I have waited many years on Nikon replacing the D300s with a semi-pro body but they have failed to do this so I have no option but to go FX. My D200 is nearing the end of its useful life and hangs occasionally now so I am in the unfortunate position that I cannot wait on the D610 prices to drop to "sensible" levels as I do not think the D200 will see this winter out.......

Are the 600 series camera's full frame camera's?

Yes, the D600 and D610 are Full Frame, denoted by the "FX" name

Perhaps, but why would you buy a D610 at £1799 when you could buy a D800 (UK stock) for less than £100 more than this and if you shop around and happy to take grey import, then you could pick a D800 for less than the price of a new D610. I just fail to see what significant improvement they have made to justify nearly 30% price hike. Sure they have added a couple of other "improvements", but they had to do this in order to justify the upgrade from D600 to D610 as more than just fixing a shutter mechanism design issue (which they will never admit to anyway, but in reality that is the truth). I think they have got the UK starting price way wrong and it may come back to bite them. As I said, I have been waiting to buy a D610 for several months now but will not be doing so any time soon now. If I did not have so much invested in lenses I would move to Canon 6D tomorrow (my other half already uses this so I know it to be a fantastic camera). I do not wish the burdon of processing 36Mp images of the D800 however, if I have to spend nearly £1800 on a new body then it will without doubt be D800 for its better build quality - I can always use it in x1.2 crop mode to reduce the file size.  I have waited many years on Nikon replacing the D300s with a semi-pro body but they have failed to do this so I have no option but to go FX. My D200 is nearing the end of its useful life and hangs occasionally now so I am in the unfortunate position that I cannot wait on the D610 prices to drop to "sensible" levels as I do not think the D200 will see this winter out.......

You wouldnt !! This was the point I was trying to make Yes the price prelaunch is very close to the D800 but remember when the D800 came out it was priced closer to £2500 with the D800 current price being so close to the launch price of the D600 I doubt most will bother but a few idiots will (extra profit for someone) just so that they have the "latest" camera I reckon after christmas the price will drop to a realistic level as camera prices always seem to do best to wait to see what someone like Amazon list it at prelaunch before making a judgement on Nikons always inflated list price for a body at current exchange rates for the US the price is £1243.604 add about £300 (as we always seem to pay more) and it looks about realistic at about £1500 Having just checked Calumet are throwing about £250 worth of accessories with it already at the £1799 asking price and Jessops are throwing a grip in so they already realise they are never going to sell i at asking price

Yep agreed UK retailers are already showing their lack of confidence in a huge take up at the initial price which is a shame because I am sure it will be a fabulous camera to use and I am sure if the initial price was around 1.4k it would fly off the shelf. I'll just keep an eye on the prices/deals and see what happens......

Yep agreed UK retailers are already showing their lack of confidence in a huge take up at the initial price which is a shame because I am sure it will be a fabulous camera to use and I am sure if the initial price was around 1.4k it would fly off the shelf. I'll just keep an eye on the prices/deals and see what happens......

So will I if it goes down to about that price (or I win the lottery) before I upgrade and the issues have been sorted then yes

I needed the D610 like another hole in my ass !  What I need, is an upgrade to my most excellent D300s !

I'm tempted, but the budget doesn't allow for anything new right now. When it does, we'll see.

Still not sure if I want to go full frame or get a D400 (if they ever make it). I see the value in both.

This is probably a release that fixes errors from the D600. Still, welcomed though.

Not too big difference with d600. Let see what we get on practice.

This is such a dilemma. I'm still deciding whether to get this or D7000/D7100.

Looks like it could be a contender for those looking to move to Full Frame.

This is such a dilemma. I'm still deciding whether to get this or D7000/D7100.

As the selling prices go down, at what point does a D600 become compelling?

I'm torn between a D610 and a Canon 6D, Decisions, Decisions.

If it will help anyone to decide between the D610 and a discounted D600, here's my experience with the dust/oil sensor issue. I have had my sensor cleaned once ($60! By Nikon, the tech acted all surprised and said that they had never heard of the issue and this was after Nikon had posted the service advisory.) and cleaned it myself once ($40 in supply costs!) within the first six months of owning the D600 (approx. 5,000 shutter releases). I had an unbelievably large number of dust particles, it looked like i was shooting a swarm of locusts It''s been four months since the last clean and there is no where near the same level of dust accumulation as I had previously. i'd describe it as low to normal in what you would expect to see if you change lenses outdoors (about 8,500 shutter releases now). Problem seems to be resolved.

this camera doesn't seem to offer much new other that hopefully no sensor issues. However I have a D600 and its up to 12,000 shutter count and I don't see any issues with it... so far (fingers crossed)

Like most things in life, perception is everything. I have recently been researching reviews when I was looking to purchase an upgrade for my D40 which I have had for five years. I was put off the D600 by the comments I read in a number of reviews concerning the oil issue. I eventually purchased a D7100, but since purchasing this I have just read a review that mentioned a potential oil problem with this model as well. It makes me wonder whether this whole issue about oil is true or a rumour that has gone wild! I understand that Nikon refuse to comment on the issue, which is quite understanding as it could be a costly exercise if it was found to be true.

looks like i have a new dream camera