Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SB-25 on digital Nikons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I picked up an SB-25 flash in a car boot sale (US = swap meet) on Sunday. It seems to work correctly on my D50, but I get the impression that it isn't getting data from the camera - the Jessop flash I use sometimes knows what focal length my zoom is using, for example. Is that normal, or is it faulty?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
It's normal. Flashes of that era only work as a dumb flash on digital.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

OK - I'll sell it on then. Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The SB-25 is a nice speedlight for strobist use, but if you are not that way inclined, something newer, in the three-digit range is called for.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

For what I do the Jessop flash is more than adequate - Unfortunately I have a bad habit of forgetting to use it when I should. The SB-25 looks nice, but I really doubt I'd use more than the most basic features, and it's less convenient for my needs (also somewhat heavier), so I might as well sell it on to someone who will actually use it properly.