Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chipped T-mounts? Any good? And how do they work?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

My longest lens is an old T-mount 500mm f8; I also test T-mount lenses fairly often, since I buy and sell them on eBay. One of the problems with them is that my D50 doesn't meter or confirm focus unless the lens has a chip, which really slows things down if I'm trying to get a picture of a bird or something.

Various vendors offer T-mounts with the chip, but they look a bit fragile and home-made; I'm a little worried that the chip might break off and damage the camera. I'm also unclear as to how the chips actually work - do they have to be programmed for the individual lens, or is it more a generic "this is a manual lens, just return a speed for the light that's coming in and don't worry about anything else" sort of thing?

Has anyone tried them, and what were the results like? Can you recommend a particular supplier?

I'm also looking at getting a chipped adapter for using M42 screw lenses, since I probably sell more of them than any other fitting and it would be useful for testing them. Again, has anyone tried them?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The dandelion chips are on the fragile side, but they work as long as you keep an eye on them. Here are the programming instructions.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

OK - that makes it a bit clearer. It's the fragile part I'm really worried about - I get the impression that nobody is actually manufacturing a purpose-built T-mount containing a chip, they're gluing the chips onto ordinary T-mounts. And that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their strength etc.!

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Well, I've sort of tried this now - I got a chipped M42 adapter for my Canon 300D, since I've started using that for lens tests, and tried the 500mm lens on that with an M42 mount fitted. Results were mixed - exposure was dead on, focus confirmation was lousy. Is that fairly typical given the lens aperture (f8), or are Canon poorer than Nikon in this respect? I think I'll be getting a chipped T-mount for Nikon anyway, the exposure part makes it worthwhile. Although this does mean that my (originally £10) 500mm lens will now have cost about £40 - £10 for the lens, about £12 for a canvas carrying case (a Velbron tripod case), skylight filter, cap and long hood, and circa £18 for the chipped T-mount...

Oh well, it's only money (he said, banging his head against the wall)...

One thing I definitely noticed about this - chipped adapters for Canon are a LOT cheaper and seem to be better made, with less chance of the chip getting damaged because of its design. I got the M42 adapter for £5.39 and I'm waiting on a Pentax K adapter for £7.39, there's also someone selling chipped T-mounts for £7.45 though they don't look so well made. The ones sold for Nikon cost a lot more and don't look nearly so robust.

I suppose that part of this must be that the chips are more expensive, but I'm willing to bet that there's also some "he's got a Nikon, he can afford to pay more" thinking in there. But I mustn't be bitter (he said bitterly)...

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Tried the 500mm on a really bright day and focus confirmation worked much better, which I suppose makes sense.

Meanwhile I've twice failed to get a chipped Nikon T-mount in auctions, and the prices seem to have gone up across the board (or rather the pound has gone down) while the Nikon-fit ones still look a bit amateurish compared to the ones for Canon. Can anyone recommend a source other than eBay that won't charge an arm and a leg? Preferably in the UK or Europe, unless they ship very cheaply.

Very tempted to check for minimum order quantities on AliBaba and buy a job lot, sell the rest on. But I suspect it isn't entirely easy to get started in that game without falling foul of customs etc. And on a quick check nobody is selling them ready-made anyway!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Nikon-fit ones still look a bit amateurish compared to the ones for Canon.

And on a quick check nobody is selling them ready-made anyway!

I've never seen one, what sort of a job would it be to make them? Is it machining up a T-mount and affixing a chip, or what?

Might be an interesting project...

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

The ones I see on ebay seem to be an ordinary T-mounts with the chip glued to the metal at the edge of the bayonet with a teeny amount of glue. Since the metal at that point is about a millimeter thick it looks distinctly fragile, which is why I'm concerned about damage if the chip comes loose. What I think I'll do if I buy one is put some epoxy resin underneath the chip inside the throat of the T-mount, so that it has more support. I'm only going to be using it with a very long lens so I don't have to worry about the rear element of the lens being obstructed by anything. The Canon ones are either made with a metal support for the chip or have a little support bracket screwed to the mount.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Might have to look at a couple - just out of interest...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be possible to use the better chips sold by Bjørn Rørslett and use an original Nikon contact block for a sturdier T-mount. Bjørn and some of the people who use his chips can be found over at Nikongear.net.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Yes, the idea had crossed my mind - before I realized that the lens connectors aren't chipped in the same way, I wondered if it would be possible to cannibalize something like a Nikon Pronea lens and use the "chip" from that. But obviously it isn't that simple.