Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 22 January 2017

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 22 January 2017, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

Also, please take a moment and share your best photos of 2016 here: Your Best Photos of 2016 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com. We are getting quite an impressive collection of everyone's best!

P.S. Come play with us in the editing exercises (and feel free to play around in the old exercises too). 

P.P.S. Also check out the music inspiration challenges. Some very cool stuff going on in there!

P.P.S. Peter is running a fun single lens challenge that we are all invited to participate in.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
41bb964ef7f924ed42e2ac30a67c2546.jpg
D500 Tamron 70-200/2.8 165mm f3.5 1/500@ISO250

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I took a few today. Hard to pick just one. Here are several.

DSC_4254-X3.jpg

DSC_4275-X2.jpg

DSC_4295-XL.jpg

DSC_4336-X3.jpg

DSC_4314-X3.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Jerry--that is lovely! What was the occasion for the mask?

alden--wonderful set. I particularly like the image with the beekeepers--so fun to see all the bees.

Yet again...in still life mode. Experimented with a new lighting style--complete departure from my normal style. 

32426414705_f8ed8810cb_h.jpgStil Life with Manikin by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

32426414565_b247718e38_h.jpgMy dad's old Minolta by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

I used the Tamron 70-200 for these--still trying to give it a chance. It started squeaking when focusing last night and at one point stopped focusing altogether. Detached and reattached to my camera and it started up again. Weirdness. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, did you ever find out what lens that is on the SRT?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow Nichole has my old Minolta!

Wish I still had it.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I went to a Disk Golf tournament today in a local neighborhood.  Never seen the game before, quite interesting.  Teams seemed to be co-ed with varying age groups.  I followed a team from Finland.  I found the participants to be easy to talk to and more than willing to explain the game to me.  It is quite windy today so their expertise and aim is being taxed, but as one Finlander said, it makes it challenging.  Good spirit.  This one competitor is quite acrobatic, making him fun to shoot.

I used my D750 with my new Tamron 70-200 f2.8  I think it will work out well.

Attached Thumbnails

• disk golf-1.jpg
  • disk golf-2.jpg
  • disk golf-3.jpg

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

He's got some moves, especially for a big guy!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Dean, I shot some discgolf a couple of years ago, only those lunatics played at night in the Swedish winter... http://petersundsted..._141218_180547_

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Dean, I shot some discgolf a couple of years ago, only those lunatics played at night in the Swedish winter... http://petersundsted..._141218_180547_

I would be worried about trolls out there, especially at night.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

My subject was fun to watch.  He's really into it.

Peter, my hat is off to you playing disk golf  in the winter.  Brr.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Great set, deano--that last one makes him look like a dancer. Looks like the Tamron is treating you well. Did you feel like it focused quickly enough for you? Did you get every shot you tried for? I feel like I get one out of three with that lens...

Nicole, did you ever find out what lens that is on the SRT?

No, can you remind me how to tell? It's not as straightforward as my modern lenses. On the part of the ring you can't see in the photo it says f=58mm and 1:14. I don't suppose 58mm is the focal length?

Wow Nichole has my old Minolta!

Wish I still had it.

Heh--and it still works. Well, mostly. The meter thread seems to be broken now, so I have to meter externallly...but otherwise it's working quite well. My mentor saw that photo and waxed a bit nostalgic--named a couple other cameras (including a Pentax) that along with the Minolta SRT were super durable. He said you could drive over it with a truck and it would still work (joking, of course). I still have a roll of film in it that I need to finish and process. Someday...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

That lens looks like an early MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4. The sculpted focus ring is a dead giveaway. Later lenses had rubber focusing ring covers... which had a tendency to get sloppy if you weren't careful. I should get my Minolta encyclopedia out and check but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

--Ron 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I would be worried about trolls out there, especially at night.

hhmm!  I thought trolls lived exclusively in Norway. :))

tt

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree with Ron, the 58/1.4 was one of the three kit lenses available around 1970. The body is from the second generation, 1970-1973 and the scalloped focus ring narrows it down to before 1972. You are lucky that your father was wise enough to not get the top of the line 58/1.2 with his new camera as they are radioactive and get yellow with age.

Tony, John Bauer was Swedish...

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I agree with Ron, the 58/1.4 was one of the three kit lenses available around 1970. The body is from the second generation, 1970-1973 and the scalloped focus ring narrows it down to before 1972. You are lucky that your father was wise enough to not get the top of the line 58/1.2 with his new camera as they are radioactive and get yellow with age.

Tony, John Bauer was Swedish...

Who is John Bauer?  We were just watching a movie called, "Troll Hunter."  After ten minutes I thought it was a documentary, however it turned out to be hilarious and a lot fun.  If you have not seen it, give it a try.  Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

John Bauer was an illustrator, most famous for his work with Bland tomtar och Troll (Among Gnomes and Trolls), a collection of fairy tales written by Swedish authors.

Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My best this week is a photo of a salesman at the local camera store demonstrating the new way of using a system camera.

gallery_1251_646_132435.jpg

Model: NIKON D700

Lens (mm): 85(85/1.8D)
ISO: 200
Aperture: 2.5
Shutter: 1/100
Picture Control: D2X Mode 1

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

This week was not very photographic.  I got out one evening in an office park for a few shots of artwork displayed there, and went to a boat show with the family.  Here's one of my granddaughter on one of the boats.

31602953974_7b8c194541_b.jpg

DSC_1651.jpg by Mark, on Flickr - D810, 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.8, 1/100", ISO 280

And one of the office park artwork.

31565576793_8ea476d4ab_b.jpg

DSC_1610 by Mark, on Flickr - D810, 50mm f/1.4 @ f/5.6, 3", ISO 64

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Nicole,  Still learning the lens..  I shot a girls soccer game last week.  Thought the lens was just not quite fast enough.  But the return rate is good  I get about two out of three shots where I wanted them.  So far i like the lens..  In love with it, I'm still learning.  I happen to have watched soccer for a few generations now so it is easier for me to follow the flow.  My weakness comes in when I try my hand at basketball, never played the game.