Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Bluetooth" - this option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state

bluetooth d3400 error

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

lembob

lembob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

The option to turn on Bluetooth (and location) is greyed out, and an error pops up that says: "this option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state" I have searched the manuals and there is nothing about enabling bluetooth

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Bri

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Which camera body?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thumper's right... we need to know more about your system. That said, it sounds like you haven't 'paired' the two Bluetooth devices that you're trying to get to work together.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It could be something about the file type settings. Some cameras won't let the user select any of the wireless transfer modes unless the file type is set to .jpg. It could be something with the shooting modes as well. PASM and the *helpful* modes work in different ways when it comes to wireless use too on some cameras. We still need to know more to do anything but guess.

msp66

msp66

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Not the original posting here, but I am also having problems connecting the camera to smart phone for use with Snap Bridge app.

The camera is the D3400 and the Phone is the Sony Experia XA

Similar to original post the Bluetooth on the camera is greyed out and under NO setting mode on the camera does this change. The Bluetooth must be active though as my phone is picking up the camera name, but when trying to pair the camera does not generate a code. When trying to connect through the Snap Bridge app, nothing happens at all.

Pulling my hair out trying to connect devices. ANY help would be appreciated on this as the Nikon site and the handbook has no itinerary on the Bluetooth configuration.

msp66

msp66

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

The option to turn on Bluetooth (and location) is greyed out, and an error pops up that says: "this option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state" I have searched the manuals and there is nothing about enabling bluetooth

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Bri

I too had the same problem, posted a feed earlier to this thread asking similar question. Then while messing around with the Nikon Image Space pages, I registered my camera and straight away, once the registration had been processed and the account ugraded with the information of my camera, the Bluetooth came on and I was connected to my android phone and Snap Bridge too. Now all is working very well.

Hope this helps. :D  :D  :D 

swandon

swandon

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I also have a Nikon D3400 and also having that notice from the bluetooth button: "This option is not available at current settings or in the cameras current state." and you have kajilions of settings that could set that off, I tried almost everything including RESETTING the whole thing! guess what? This option is not available at current settings or in the cameras current state. well I just got this spankin new camera and played with it a few hours and mind you the bluetooth did work! and i must have done something to shut it off and its stubbornly won't budge, again the same word that guy up above "help"

Abbu

Abbu

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am also having similar issues with Bluetooth on my D3400. The option to turn on Bluetooth (and location) is greyed out, and an error pops up that says: "this option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state"

Forget about sharing photos using Snapbridge app but first I need to somehow find a way to enable bluetooth on my camera.

I tried resetting the options and it didn't help also Airplane mode is disabled on the camera. So I am not sure what else could be done.

Thanks

Abbu

Willow

Willow

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Please help, I'm having the same problem. Brand new D3400 worked great for a few hours, then it suddenly and persistently stopped connecting to SnapBridge. Tried uninstalling SnapBridge on my iphone, still wouldn't connect. Reset the connection settings on the camera- and now most of the cameras features are grey'd out or not highlighted and can't be accessed. Everything I try says  "option unavailable at the current settings or in the cameras current state".

So I can't do anything about picture settings, connectivity or anything. Most of my phone is greyed out. I'm pretty pissed. Brand new camera, not even 100 shots, or 2 hours of use. Nikon needs to do something about this. :( If I don't get this resolved, I'm taking the camera back to the store, and exchanging it for a Canon. It's absolute rubbish that I spent so much for a camera that isn't working like it should.

rojo

rojo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am having the same problem as everyone else that has posted here with my new d3400 trying to connect to an iPhone 6s with Snapbridge. I have looked for answers in other forums and tried various things such as going back to default settings, uninstalling Snapbridge, trying different shooting modes, I even took out the battery and left it out for about half an hour while researching forums.

I made the mistake of shutting off Bluetooth in one of my vain attempts and to my dismay, can't re-enable it! Now I am waiting to recharge my batteries for another go and contemplating calling the manufacturer.

I'm amazed no one's come up with any helpful answers yet... a look at the reviews for Snapbridge in the App Store should have tipped me off...not one good review.

msp66

msp66

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Please help, I'm having the same problem. Brand new D3400 worked great for a few hours, then it suddenly and persistently stopped connecting to SnapBridge. Tried uninstalling SnapBridge on my iphone, still wouldn't connect. Reset the connection settings on the camera- and now most of the cameras features are grey'd out or not highlighted and can't be accessed. Everything I try says  "option unavailable at the current settings or in the cameras current state".

So I can't do anything about picture settings, connectivity or anything. Most of my phone is greyed out. I'm pretty pissed. Brand new camera, not even 100 shots, or 2 hours of use. Nikon needs to do something about this. :( If I don't get this resolved, I'm taking the camera back to the store, and exchanging it for a Canon. It's absolute rubbish that I spent so much for a camera that isn't working like it should.

• Scotland.png

I too had this problem with my brand new D3400,

No matter what I did to try to get around, as you have, it never achieved anything.

But then after I registered my camera in the Nikon Image Space app, once the registration had been processed and the account upgraded with the information of my camera, the Bluetooth came on and I was connected to my android phone and Snap Bridge too. Now all is working very well.

Hope this helps. :D  :D  :D

Read more: "Bluetooth" - this option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state - Nikon DX DSLRs - NikonForums.com

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I feel your pain.  This is one of the main reasons I returned my D3400 to Costco on Sunday.  Thnx.  Tony

miavp

miavp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am having the same problem as everyone else that has posted here with my new d3400 trying to connect to an iPhone 6s with Snapbridge. I have looked for answers in other forums and tried various things such as going back to default settings, uninstalling Snapbridge, trying different shooting modes, I even took out the battery and left it out for about half an hour while researching forums.

I made the mistake of shutting off Bluetooth in one of my vain attempts and to my dismay, can't re-enable it! Now I am waiting to recharge my batteries for another go and contemplating calling the manufacturer.

I'm amazed no one's come up with any helpful answers yet... a look at the reviews for Snapbridge in the App Store should have tipped me off...not one good review.

I had this exact problem with my new d3400 as well. My settings originally showed Bluetooth ON and when I clicked on it, it showed a couple options: Network Connection-ON, Paired Devices, Send while off-"ON". I clicked on Paired Devices and it showed that it had connected to my phone today (even though my connection to snapbridge was unsuccessful) - so in an effort to retry my snapbridge connection I deleted my phone from the paired devices and this caused the Bluetooth on the camera to completely turn OFF and grey out. Same problem everyone here seems to be having where I couldn't even re-enable the bluetooth again and just saw an error message saying "option unavailable in current setting". 

Alas, I found a solution - I have an iPhone 6 so for me at least this worked:

I went to bluetooth settings on my phone and went to the camera name and said "forget this device". I then deleted the snapbridge app and redownloaded it. 

Then I went on the camera and tried to do the "connect to smart device". Instead of going to snapbridge, I went to my phone's bluetooth settings and chose the camera once the name popped up again. It prompted a pair message and I had to confirm the # on the camera matched the # on my phone. It then paired successfully and the bluetooth on my camera was back on! -- (disclaimer.. while this was great to see that at least the bluetooth was on again, this did not resolve the issues I was having with snapbridge - I still can't seem to get it to connect through the app, but perhaps it will work out for others..)

Nikon.borad

Nikon.borad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Once you connect the phone through snap Bridge with camera the Bluetooth on camera works , for connecting camera with phone in snap bridge you must start Location and Bluetooth in the phone

dips

dips

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there. 

I had the same issue. Playing a little with the bluetooth settings I ended up disabling it on the camera menu.

And I got the grayed out row and the error message which by now all we know.

But I resolved by:

- on the Ipad I make the Ipad forget the D3400 bluetooth assignement 

- and started over the usual linking procedure to connect snapbridge.

And it worked just fine.

The caveaut is: the bluetooth line on the setting menu, when I restarted the procedure was *still* grayed out, and I DIDN'T even try to change its status (I couldn't do anyway). So it is *not* a prerequisite to start the procedure.

Just, at the end of the linking procedure by itself the Bluetooth menu line was again ON and active. It was set On by the procedure itself.

The key thing is to make the IPAD forget the bluetooth device D3400 in Settings-Bluetooth

Ciao.

Amjones

Amjones

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Mine was doing the same exact thing and for some reason that is unknown to anyone on earth it only turned back on when my boyfriend who lives 100 miles away disconnected his Bluetooth on his phone...? Okay

Amjones

Amjones

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
I had the same exact problem which was only solved when my boyfriend who was 100+ miles away disconnected his phone from Bluetooth. ?? Don't ask questions just be happy it worked I guess?

ALMMRS

ALMMRS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought a new Nikon D5600 (latest firmware v1.01) and it has BT (Bluetooth) version 4.1.

SnapBridge will only work with the newer BT 4.x technology (see small print on SnapBridge page, on Nikon website). It reads: A device with BT 4.0 or later (i.e. a device that supports BT Smart Ready/Low Energy).  

You may have the most current iOS on your device, but if you have BT 2.0 embedded in the device it will NEVER work!

This is probably why so many folks have issues, they are trying to pair with smart devices that are not supported, i.e. they have outdated BT technology in their devices. You can look up BT versions on Apple website for each version of iPhone/IPad, so you can check what is actually embedded in your 'smart' device.

What will NOT work: any smart device (iPhone or iPad) with BT 2.x or 3.x.  This version of BT will not work with SnapBridge.  

Even an older Ipad 3 with BT version 4.0 did NOT work (at least I could not get it to work). 

What DOES work: any smart device with BT 4.x (4.1 and above it seems). My new iPhone 5SE with BT 4.2 works just great with SnapBridge.

Embedded BT technology in a device is not 'upgradable', it does not go from 2.0 to 4.2 with a newest version of iOS !!  So even if firmware, and iOS are all current, you are out of luck if you have older devices with embedded BT 2.x, 3.x (and maybe 4.0) technology in it. 

Yes, SnapBridge will turn on the cameras BT function (once you have it working and paired).  You CANNOT turn BT function on yourself in camera settings (greyed out). SnapBridge can also control your camera, so you can take pics remotely using your phone.  SnapBridge uses the WIFI capability of the camera.  The camera is acting as a wireless access point, but ONLY Snapbridge can connect/communicate with it, it seems.

I tried other software to connect to the camera, it will not work. The only other thing to control my D5600 is the Camera Control Pro software (full version).  Comes at a price (see Nikon site), but it works great with my MacBook Pro laptop. 

Windows platform phones do not work with Snapbridge.  Only iOS and Android work with Snapbridge, and either one must have BT 4.1 or higher!

Katooi

Katooi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Once you connect the phone through snap Bridge with camera the Bluetooth on camera works , for connecting camera with phone in snap bridge you must start Location and Bluetooth in the phone

Indeed turning on the GPS and Bluetooth worked for me, I was able to see my camera again, seems the camera Bluetooth Is always on, but until you pair the devices the Bluetooth option in the menu will remain greyed out.

Mozac

Mozac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
It is so easy. Open yr android app manager, go to snapbridge and clear data. Restart pairing, done! Keep in mind that, dslr unlike android. Its Bluetooth is not stand alone I.e you cannot open and close Bluetooth like an android, but you can pair with new device, forget device.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bluetooth, d3400, error