Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Long abandoned Miley Tunnel, Lancashire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi people.

I wasn't fully sure where to put these images but seeing Preston is a City and Miley Tunnel was built in the 1800's I figured I stick them in here. Sorry if this post is image heavy but I couldn't do this place justice by sticking a couple of images up.

As an Urban Explorer, I've been in some seriously dark places but nothing at all like this. This tunnel stretches for around half a mile but is in the shape of a loose S which means when you get into the middle it is completely pitch black. Thankfully, we had some powerful torches to guide us through.

These images were shot on a trusty old Nikon D60 with a Sigma 10-20mm f4.5 lens.

Enough with the waffling and on with the piccies, hope you enjoy them:

MileyTunnelLookingBackfromMB.jpg

MileyTunnelBackIntoTheLight.jpg

MileyTunnelComingToMaudlandBank.jpg

MileyTunnelBlueLightOrb.jpg

MIleyTunnelIntoTheDarkness.jpg

MileyTunnelLightAtTheEndOfTheTunnel.jpg

MileyTunnelDeepdaleEnd.jpg

MileyTunnelDeepdaleExit.jpg

MileyTunnelDeepdaleEntrance.jpg

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Oh, that is awesome! We have an abandoned railroad tunnel near me by it is no where near as cool as that one.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I like the 2nd to last with the two figures in shadow. Gives a surreal look. Nice shots overall.

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks guys.

I think what gives this tunnel it's appeal is the fact that the track is still there. It was last used in early 1990 so for the track to still be there 23 years later is pretty unique. It originally had 2 lines but the one that was removed was linked to the West Coast Mainline.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Very cool subject, and I like the creative shots you came up with for it.    Very nice.   Great set.

DanWeso

DanWeso

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

Great set of pictures.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Very intriguing and fun images! I'm sitting here trying to pick a favorite (just for the heck of it), but I can't because they're all so darn cool. I especially love the light coming around the bend in number three and the strong converging lines in number seven.

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
Thank you :). I'm glad you like the images. It was as much fun exploring this tunnel as it was taking the pictures.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Reminds me of Dickens' The Signalman.