Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night photography

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

rob6378

rob6378

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

I have seen many great night photos but unable to replicate this can some one tell me what I would need to take great pictures of a night sky and what would be the best settings

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi. I took the pictures of night sky at next settings:
ISO 1600
F 1.8
Time of exposition 15-20 sec

As you can see you will need to use a tripod. Also I want to say about your lens. If you want that the stars looks like small points it would be
Better to use wide angel lens if you want that stars looks like little lines you can try a telephoto lens.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I have seen many great night photos but unable to replicate this can some one tell me what I would need to take great pictures of a night sky and what would be the best settings

You definitely need a tripod, and you definitely need a long exposure time.  Anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds is the norm.  I usually shoot close to wide-open as it allows you to use a shorter exposure time.

To make your compositions more interesting, consider "painting" some of the foreground with a flashlight so that you get something interesting in your image:  the sky alone isn't enough.

If you want to do star trails or something like that, make sure the moon isn't in the way. 

Here are a few examples of night phots that I recently took:

Here, the trees were lit up with a flashlight.

721s F2.5 ISO 100

Star Trails

Shot of the moon, 5s F1.6 ISO 640
Moonrise

Stars, 8.4s F2.5 ISO 800
Milky Way

I did a lot of experimentation in between.  It turnes out that the aperture is the least significant parameter.  Shutter speed will cause motion blur (if there is wind or if you're shooting stars) and higher ISOs will cost you detail if you push it too high.

D800 + 35mm F1.4G

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag
also if you want to get a picture with start trails you can use the programms that combine few photos with static stars into one photo with start trails. I can't remember the name of this prog so google it if you need.

rob6378

rob6378

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Thank you so much for your help I shall get out and try tonight and lit you know how I get on Thank You Guys 

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

So what? Do you have some results to show us?)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I learned most of what I know from Royce Bair, a master of night sky photography. He is very generous with his knowledge and shares good instruction on his blog:

intothenightphoto.blogspot.com

I took this photo with my D600 and 14-24mm lens--ISO 6400 (!!!), f2.8, 15 secs, 14mm:

NCF_TetonLake5596_small.jpg

Hope the resolution isn't too bad--I resized it pretty small...

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag
Wow! Your picture is great! Anton Jankovoy also have a great articles about how to shoot night sky. As I remember it was translated in english, but I haven't s link. So if you are interested in you can try to find it by his name.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow, amazing picture! Thanks for the blog link.

Bribrian

Bribrian

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

That's one heck of a shot nbanjogal.......

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Here is my result of star tracks, not so good like  nbanjogal has but I want to share.

Attached Thumbnails

• Startrails5.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nice job, Stas! I love the lone tree against the sky--that's a beautiful composition. I haven't experimented much with star trails--I need to get out and do it. What settings did you use for that photo?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Hm. Don't remember exactly something like

15 sec

F1.8

ISO 1600

Lens Nikkor 35mm

I will check this information at home. Also I have to notice that it is not one photo. Here is 9 photos combined with special software.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice picture, and interesting that you could get star trails after 15 seconds! 

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
Star trails are easier to get than not :-(

The 500 rule shows the maximum exposure before star trail begins.

Focal length. APS-C 1.5x exposure in seconds

12. 28
14. 24
16. 21
18. 19
20. 17
24. 14
28. 12
35. 10

If you want to take longer exposures, you will need a well setup eq mount and RA motor.

Much easier to take a number of exposures and then stack them.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks. I will look on line for some tutorials.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, the length of trail depends on focal length of your lens. You will get a trail on tele lens at shorter exposure time, that on wide angle lens. But as I wrote to create this photo I used a special software, that can combine few photos with short trails into one with long trails. Photo that I published here was created from 7 or 9 photos with short trails.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

If the weather cooperates, this weekend should be a good one for night sky photography--at least in my hemisphere. :)  No moon! I'm heading out with a 14-24mm to find dark skies in Idaho. Wish me luck! (Lots of luck--things are looking a bit cloudy.)

By the way, in our discussions of night sky photography, I don't think anyone has mentioned the following tools:

Stellarium

The Photographer's Ephemeris

Starwalk

Dark Sky Finder

They are all apps or websites that I find indispensable in plotting sun and moon rises and sets, Milky Way positions, and skies dark enough to photograph the Milky Way.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Good luck! And here some night photo. I like photos of this guy. I hope they will inspire you) http://jankovoy.com/

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I want to get out of the city and do some star trails... will have to try and organise a trip.

This shot was taken with my D600, hand held at Bondi Beach.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_3448.JPG